• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beard without moustache

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:37 PM (#1) User is offline   sadia786 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

As Salaam Alikum,

What are the rules behind having a beard without a moustache!!!?

My personal opinion.... I think it doesnt look very nice... (no offence to anyone)

The sunat of our beloved prophet Alayhis Salaam is to have the moustache short so the lip is visible through it.... not to totally shave it off.. so why do many men/boys and even 'peer' shave it off totally....?

Am I mistaken..?

Thank You

Sadia

"The LOVE of GOD and HIS Prophet (Sallallah-o-Alaih-e-Wasallam) is infinetely superior to the love of MORTAL HUMAN BEINGS and other worldly things"

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:47 PM (#2) User is offline   amshafai 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Walaikhum salaam sister Sadia. I believe there are some who totally shave their moustache, however majority trim them, this is not apparent if looking from far.

Through an authentic tradition we learn a convoy came to the Prophet of Allah from Yemen, Yemen was occupied by the Persians. The men heading the convoy had big moustach and small beards. The Prophet asked the men "what is this?" (i.e. the no beard and big moustache). They replied "Our Lord (i.e. the Persian King) commanded us to do this", the Prophet of Allah replied "Our Lord, (i.e. Allah) has commanded us to trim this (the moustache) and grow this (the beard)".

This hadith is also mentioned in "Muhammad (his life based on the earliest sources) by Martin Lings.

Allah knows best.
Asid Shafait Riazi

mangoo786@hotmail.co.uk

Patience........ It is a must in life.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:49 PM (#3) User is offline   sham7861 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

salaam sister '

i am young so i don't have that much knowledge but regarding you question is, if you use sissors to trim the moustache it looks like it's been shaved off but not shaved so i was trying to say that a true peer will always follow the sunnat- by not using a blade but sissors,

if brother or sisters i have said something wrong plz correct

allah hafiz
Signature reset by YaNabi Team. Keep it nice and SHORT.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:21 PM (#4) User is offline   Saghe-dargaahe-Jilani 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

ALLAHUMMA SALLI WASALLIM WABARIK ALA SAYYIDINA MUHAMMADINIL FAATIHI LIMA UGHLIQA WAL KHAATIMI LIMA SABAKA WAN NAASIRIL HAQQA BIL HAQQI WAL HAADI ILA SIRAATIKAL MUSTAQEEMI SALLAL LAAHU ALAIHI WA ALA AALI WA ASHABIHI HAQQA QADRIHI MIQDAARIHIL AZEEM.

What are the rules behind having a beard without a moustache!!!?

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (radi Allahu anhu) reported that the Glorious Prophet of Islam (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “Five things are from the traditions of the Prophets of the old: circumcision, removing the hair below the navel, trimming the moustaches, cutting the nails and removing the hair from armpit”. (Bukhari, Muslim)

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (radi Allahu anhu) reported that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “Trim your moustaches and grow your beard and follow not the fire-worshippers”. (Bukhari, Muslim)

Sayyiduna Zaid Bin Arqam (radi Allahu anhu) reported that the Beloved Rasool (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “He who does not trim his moustaches is not of us”. (Tirmidi, Nisai)

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (radi Allahu anhu) reported that the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “He who does not shave off the hair from the abdomen and does not cut his nails and does not trim his moustaches, is not of us”. (Muslim)

Sayyiduna Anas (radi Allahu anhu) reported that the maximum exemption for shaving off the hair from the abdomen and armpit and for cutting nails and for trimming the moustaches is forty days. (Muslim)

Signature reset by YaNabi Team. Keep it nice and SHORT.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:33 PM (#5) User is offline   irfanrazakhan 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

There are various opnions according to the 4 madhhabs of Ahle Sunnah Wal Jamaah as to the amount that should be removed; 

Trimming the mustache is a sunnah that is agreed upon as stated in the Majmu'. The Prophet  said: "Whosoever does not take something from his mustache is not one of us." This was narrated by Tirmidhi who said: This is a well authenticated hadith, almost rigorously authenticated.

However, the scholars have disagreed about how much the mustache should be trimmed. The sunnah in our school is to trim the mustache from above the upper lip so that a little of the upper lip can show, without shaving the mustache at its roots. Imam Nawawi said in the Majmu': It is also alright to cut it, as Baihaqi narrated from Hazrat Ibn Umar

A group of scholars have said that it is sunnah to shave and trim it from its roots. Imam Ahmad decided that both ways were alright, as reported from him in the Majmu'. Their proof is the rigorously authenticated hadith from Hazrat Ibn Umar  where the Prophet  said: "Trim the mustache and let the beard grow." This was narrated by Bukhari and Muslim. In another narration the beloved  said "Clip the mustaches." And in another narration, "Remove the mustaches."

However, our scholars have interpreted these hadiths to mean that the mustache should be trimmed from around the lip and not from the follicle of the hair, as Imam Nawawi said in the Majmu'.

He also said: "The proof that the sunnah is to trim some of the mustache, as we have mentioned, is what Hazrat Ibn Abbas  narrated: 'The Prophet  used to trim or take [a little] from his mustache, saying Hazrat Ibrahim  the Friend of the Merciful, used to do this.' This was narrated by Tirmidhi who called it well authenticated. And Baihaqi narrated in his Sunan that Sharhabil ibn Muslim al-Khaulani said, 'I saw five of the companions of the Messenger  trimming their mustaches: Abu Umama al-Bahili, Abdullah ibn Basar, Utba ibn Abdul-Salmi, Hajjaj ibn 'Amir al-Thamali, and al-Miqdam ibn Mu'add Yakrib. And they trimmed their mustaches from the edge of the lip.'"

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:37 PM (#6) User is offline   sister548 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Once a group of people came to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) clean shaven and with long moustaches, expressing his hatred of their appearances, he asked them who had ordered them to do this, they replied that they Lord (meaning they ruler) had ordered it. Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) responded "but, my Lord the Glorious and Exalted has ordered me to leave the beard and cut the moustache."

The above clearly indicates that it is a command of Almighty Allah to leave the beard unshaven, the companions of the Holy prophet (PBUH) and those who followed them never shaved the beard, nor trimmed it knowing the consequences of disobeying Allah (SWT) and his Prophet (PBUH). Rather they took the Holy Prophet (PBUH), to be a perfect example, as we are told by Almighty Allah, "You have indeed in the messenger of Allah an excellent example." (Qur'aan 33:21)

Thus anything the companions saw the prophet (PBUH) do, they themselves practiced it without regard to the reaction of the disbelievers, for they knew their salvation lay in obeying Almighty Allah and his Beloved Prophet (PBUH)

Lastly, it should be noted that according the consensus of the Scholars including the four respected Imams the beard should be at least a fist's length. It is against the Sunnah to have a beard shorter than this.

Dardeh dil keh wastay paida kiya insaan ko, Warna ata'at keh liyeh kam na teh kurru'biyaan (Mirza Ghalib)

YaNabi Team

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:28 AM (#7) User is offline   Aslan 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Originally posted by: Sadia Ahmad

As Salaam Alikum,What are the rules behind having a beard without a moustache!!!?My personal opinion.... I think it doesnt look very nice... (no offence to anyone)The sunat of our beloved prophet Alayhis Salaam is to have the moustache short so the lip is visible through it.... not to totally shave it off.. so why do many men/boys and even 'peer' shave it off totally....?Am I mistaken..?Thank You Sadia

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
Imam Malik(RA) said that it is a reprehensible innovation to SHAVE the moustache!!!
But i don't what the other scholars think regarding this matter.

Take care,
Allah Hafiz.
Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said, "Make your accounting before it is made for you, weigh your sins before they are weighed for you."

Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said:"Indeed, actions only go by intentions. Everyone gets what they intend.

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:27 PM (#8) User is offline   sadia786 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

JAZAK ALLAH KHAIR TO ALL FOR THEY HELP...

Really appreciated...

Allah Hafiz

Sadia
"The LOVE of GOD and HIS Prophet (Sallallah-o-Alaih-e-Wasallam) is infinetely superior to the love of MORTAL HUMAN BEINGS and other worldly things"

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:42 PM (#9) User is offline   parvez786 

• New Moon
  • Pip

I don't think that it is an offence to shave the moustache because as we know the great ALIM of his time, the one who is in ABU BAKR's generation, the son of Maulana Abdul Alim Madani the great peer Qaide Ahle Sunnat Hazrat Maulana Shah Ahmad Noorani shaved moustache.

Is Hazrat GUMRAH? MA'AAZALLAH
SUNNI ALEEMI

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:27 PM (#10) User is offline   msaleem45 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Asslamualaikum,
I was not aware of the ruling islamically. However I was always told to trim the tash , because if the hair os the tash touched your food it would become makrooh , any one please elaborate
Lo! Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation.
(Surah Al-Ahzab , Verse 56)
salaat u salaam alaika Ya Rasool Allah
salaat u salaam alaika Ya Habib Allah

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:32 PM (#11) User is offline   Mohammed-Haleem 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Originally posted by: Muhammad Saleem

Asslamualaikum, I was not aware of the ruling islamically. However I was always told to trim the tash , because if the hair os the tash touched your food it would become makrooh , any one please elaborate

That is right, the tash cannot touch the upper lip!
"If you put your whole trust in Allah, as you should, He most certainly will satisfy your needs, as He satisfies those of the birds. They come out hungry in the morning, but return full to their nests""

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:47 PM (#12) User is offline   hafsasaleem 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:48 PM (#13) User is offline   msaleem45 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Originally posted by: Mohammed Haleem Naqshbandi Siddiqui

Originally posted by: Muhammad Saleem

Asslamualaikum, I was not aware of the ruling islamically. However I was always told to trim the tash , because if the hair os the tash touched your food it would become makrooh , any one please elaborate

That is right, the tash cannot touch the upper lip!
Asslamualaikum,
Jazakallah Khair

Lo! Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation.
(Surah Al-Ahzab , Verse 56)
salaat u salaam alaika Ya Rasool Allah
salaat u salaam alaika Ya Habib Allah

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services