• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Putting the title 'Haji' before name

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:19 PM (#1) User is offline   jalebi 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

salaam

Isnt using titles like haji in front of your name showing off? or is it allowed? can someone shed some light

chank you

jazakhallah  

Tere Sohney Madiney Toh Qurban Main, Ya Rasoolallah (saw), Manu Vi Madiney Bula Sohneya, Maran Toh Pehley Roza Vahaa Sohneya!!! INSHALLAH

Look At Wer We Wer, Look At Wer We Are, Tell Me Is This How RasoolAllah (saw) wanted us to be?? Ya Allah Make This Ummah Rise Again AMEEN AND INSHALLAH!!!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:45 AM (#2) User is offline   roomih 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salaam to the believers;
There is certain type of charity which should be hidden from view and not known to anybody (right hand not knowing what the left is doing...).
But there is a certain type of charity which should be done in public to ENCOURAGE and EMBOLDEN others to do the same (the call for jihad and accumulations of goods/money in public....).
The haji and hafiz title fall into that same category. The usage of these titles is to create a positive peer pressure into making people DO those things.

How would you feel if your entire peer group was haji but you were not.......

Wasalaam.
Leaders must not allow themselves to mistake intentions for accomplishments.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:57 PM (#3) User is offline   blessed 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

mr roomi
u wrote and i quote
"How would you feel if your entire peer group was haji but you were not......."
then won't it be like doing hajj so that u become one of the category and people Know that u r a haji too , i think that's showing off, when u don't even know that your hajj is qabool(accepted) by Allah or not! what is the guarantee that u call yr self haji , if u so wish to encourage ppl then why not start adding " namazi" to yr name too like "namazi roomi" or " saim roomi" or ...wuzu wala roomi" that's definitely showingoff , i think yr ibadat should be yr and Allah's priovate matter when being an ordinary human being u r not even sure if yr ibadat's are accepted or not

Mein so jaon Ya Mustafa kehtay kehtay
Khulay aankh Sallay Ala kehtay kehtay
Habib-e-khuda ka nazaara karoon mein
Dil o jaan Un pe nisaara karoon mein.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:11 PM (#4) User is offline   Ansari-UK 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Asalaam Alaikum Sister Your point are valid however the brother is correct. Hafiz and Haji prior to the name encourages others and are a means to a motivation (Hafiz being superior to Haji i think of course). Imams have said this and ruled on this so best to listen to them rather than follow what we think which changes day to day. True there is an aspect of showing off and cant be used to show off "i am a haji" ie> However if ppl know u by that name no harm in it. Walaikum Asalam
www.shaykhabdalqadir.com

www.alhaqq.net

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:56 PM (#5) User is offline   rizwanbarkati 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

as salamualaikum

sister maria anees u r right ..... how would it be that if eg. zaid calls him self haji wont it be better if everyone else call him haji" and zaid him self dont..

Signature reset by YaNabi Team. Keep it nice and SHORT.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:01 PM (#6) User is offline   roomih 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salaam to the believers;

mr roomi
u wrote and i quote
"How would you feel if your entire peer group was haji but you were not......."
then won't it be like doing hajj so that u become one of the category and people Know that u r a haji too , i think that's showing off,
That is your opinion and you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. The reality remains the the ulema have agreed to this sort of titles as being encouragement especially in the context of permissability.
If you will imagine a village, as in the norm in the mideast and south asian subcontinent, where stong ties between families and other individuals creates a very pressurized mini-society. In such places there is no strong law enforcement or other mitigating authority and the people usually rely on one another and PEER PRESSURE to achieve social justice. In such a situation (which is the context of permissability) the fact that 90% of the village "elders" are haaji plays a very important role in their ability to enforce Islam and its teachings. Furhtermore, by virtue of their title, they are automatically granted more respect and deffered to in matters of decision making. When a person feels that he wants to become an "elder" and participate in the decision making, then automatically they subconsiously feel the PRESSURE of going to haaj.  Of course, the title is not the purpose of doing the act, but rather a by-product of the act. For example, compare this to salah: nobody does salah for the sake of becoming physically fit, they do it for the sake of Allah - becoming marginally fit is a by-product of regular salah, not the end goal. So why not encourage salah?

when u don't even know that your hajj is qabool(accepted) by Allah or not! what is the guarantee that u call yr self haji , if u so wish to encourage ppl then why not start adding " namazi" to yr name too like "namazi roomi" or " saim roomi" or ...wuzu wala roomi" that's definitely showingoff , i think yr ibadat should be yr and Allah's priovate matter when being an ordinary human being u r not even sure if yr ibadat's are accepted or not

Social temprement has changed and one size fits all approach is not valid. The practice is only permissable, it is not mandatory. If you feel that the practice adds no value to you in your situation, then by all means, don't do it; But that does not mean that it becomes impermissable.Waslaam.

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:50 AM (#7) User is offline   blessed 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

asalam-oalikum
i think my brother here have misunderstood what i am saying
this is not just my personal opinion but i have read in books by " ameer-e-ehlesunnat"abu bilal muhammad ilyas attar qadri, that one should HIMSELF not put the label of "haji" to his name , if u perform hajj , do it for Allah obviously people will know that u r a haji and if THEY start calling u haji then , there is no problem in that but if you yourself start signing your name ith the label "haji" then this is it definitely showing off, take examples of mashAllah almost every major ulema of ehl-e-sunnah do u ever see them sisgning their name with the label "haji" whereas they have definitely poerformed hajj more than once and are also hafiz , we know it but they don't declare it... ameer-e-ehle sunnat never signs his name with "haji" OR "hafiz" neither do my murshid "SYED AMIN MIAN BARKATI" neither do "MANZOOR AHMED FAIZI" nor "MAULANA ZIAUDDIN MADNI" nor "ALLAMA KOKAB NOORANI" and the list goes on.... 
though if you are an aalim or a muft you should sign your name as so... becuase if ppl want to ask something regarding fiqh they know who to go to and ask for help....
i hope you get the point i am trying to make here
wasalam
Mein so jaon Ya Mustafa kehtay kehtay
Khulay aankh Sallay Ala kehtay kehtay
Habib-e-khuda ka nazaara karoon mein
Dil o jaan Un pe nisaara karoon mein.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:47 AM (#8) User is offline   roomih 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salaam to the believers;

I understand your point, your first post was a little unclear and reading it gives the impression that you are against the use titles. Your recent post however states that it is permissable and that was the whole point I was trying to make: The use of titles of permissable given certain context.

Waslaam.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services