Spirit Of Islam: 11 Year Old Yemeni Girl's Viral Video; A Hoax - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 Year Old Yemeni Girl's Viral Video; A Hoax A Deception Comes Undone

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:20 PM (#1) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

Remember that 11 year old Yemeni Girl who 'ran away from her parents home due to marriage to an elder man?' Well it's all a ploy to seek fame.

Posted Image

Here is the science:

Too busy reporting on a trend very few news organizations previously thought to investigate, many forgot to do any fact-checking on Nada’s allegations. As it turned out, they should have.

Alerted by Seyaj—Yemen’s most prominent children’s rights organization—the authorities immediately assigned a task force to investigate the claims of child abuse, not willing to take Nada’ statement at face value.

The interior ministry confirmed that its preliminary investigation has established that, contrary to her claims, Nada had never approached the authorities with regard to her abuse.

Moreover, for the past 18 months, Nada has been living with her paternal uncle, Abdel Salam Al-Ahdal. She never ran away to his house, as she stated in the video—she was already under his care.

Most disturbingly yet, Seyaj says its investigations indicate that Nada had been coerced by her uncle into making the video as part of a scam to turn the young school girl into Yemen’s new Nujood, gain fame and make a profit. Nujood was a young girl who rose to fame in 2008 when, at the age of 8, she bravely refused to tolerate abuse from her husband and asked a judge to grant her a divorce.

Well-versed in the way the media operates, Nada’s uncle sought to cash in on his niece’s fabricated plight, hoping she would become the country’s new poster child against child marriage.

Now in the care of the Yemen Women’s Union, the authorities are looking to transfer Nada back into her parents’ custody, away from the prying eye of the media.

Ramizia Al-Eryani, the president of the Yemen Women’s Union said that Nada had been pressed to falsely accuse her parents. She said she was angry with the media, as their irresponsible reporting would harm real victims of abuse by raising some questions over the veracity of others’ claims. She worried that it would not only empower abusers, but potentially prevent victims from coming forward out of fear of both the media and social stigma.

Seyaj issued the following statement on Thursday: “Nada’s claims that she was to be married are not real. Nada tried to exploit the public’s opinion for personal and financial gain, hoping that, like Nujood before her, her story would grant her status. Nada is not a victim of child marriage!”

Officials from the interior ministry also categorically rejected Nada’s claims, declaring that the evidence points to the same conclusion: Nada lied.

Source

“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:23 PM (#2) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog

Before we get emotional and throw insults we should check facts, as this is the social media era and lies can be falsified as the truth.

I doubt the Daily Mail will post the corrected version, as they as renowned for posting lies and rumours, no one cares for facts.

Can someone please link in the original story post, I don't remember who posted it.

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:40 PM (#3) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

View PostThe-Mughal-Sister, on 01 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Before we get emotional and throw insults we should check facts, as this is the social media era and lies can be falsified as the truth.

Regardless, child Marriages are a reality:
Posted Image
Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:08 PM (#4) User is offline   Fekay 

• Full Eclipse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Another example of daily-mail's classic 'Google search journalism'. Instead of going out and getting the real story, do a couple of google searches,pick up the popular hits, put your own spin on it and wallah - you've got a story.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:09 PM (#5) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon

View PostThe-Mughal-Sister, on 01 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I doubt the Daily Mail will post the corrected version, as they as renowned for posting lies and rumours, no one cares for facts.

Can someone please link in the original story post, I don't remember who posted it.

mr riaz posted the bullshit story.

yet he could not fathom why I deleted it....
Feel free to PM me if you have any health issues / ailments.

Confidentiality will be maintained.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:56 PM (#6) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon

http://www.yanabi.co...__fromsearch__1
Feel free to PM me if you have any health issues / ailments.

Confidentiality will be maintained.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:06 PM (#7) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostYaNabi-Chemist, on 01 August 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

yet he could not fathom why I deleted it....

Despite being an act, I think the video highlights some important points and delivers a strong social message. Thus, for me it was a “worthy” share.

You deleted the video because of a logo and without knowing jack about its authenticity. Even if this story was true, you would have still removed it and we both know why.

Marrying young girls is widespread in Yemen and Nada has given a voice to them.

She maintains the story as true.....

Allah knows best....
Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:01 PM (#8) User is offline   seeker 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

There are two different issues at play here, let's not confuse them in our emotions.

1. I am angry and frustrated that reputable news sources, including the DM (albeit not reputable) but even others such as Al Jazeera English, promoted this video on their home pages. AJE will probably claim that they only highlighted that it's "gone viral" but we all know that's just a cheap cop-out. There should have been fact-finding, but it seems journalism is lost and sensationalism rules supreme. The uncle should be suitably punished for this fraud, news agencies should reconsider their policies towards unverified footage, and individuals who shared it should think carefully about information they circulate on the world wide web. I hope this also says something about Memri TV, the lies of this Israeli company are well-known.

2. Would the very real issue of child marriage be as widely talked about had this video not come to light? Probably not. I don't think that justifies making fake videos, but it exists and it's wrong on so many levels, not least the fact that it is haraam to marry someone to another without permission. Now that people are aware of and talking about it... what shall we do about it? Let the issue go back to sleep?
PLEASE pray for me - just say Ameen!
OH ALLAH, GUIDE US

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:23 PM (#9) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 August 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

Tahir Bhai I don't deny that the issue exists, of course it's prevalent in all societies not just Muslim countries. But what I am annoyed about it the cheap tricks and poor journalism as they post such fake stories for their ignorant readers to spew hate!

Daily Mail is so anti-Islam that it's sickening. All they care about is their hits and will post anything anti Islamic to hit their targets without finding the facts! This is how Islamaphobia develops, we have to live with this attitude in the west. So far we haven't seen Afghani girls protesting about this, when we do I'm sure women all over the world will speak up.

Gulnaz was an Afgan woman, jailed for 'forced adultery' in other words rape. in 2010 the media lifted her up in a worldwind circus as she fought for justice. Today where has the media bought her? The media couldn't help her, her desperate situation required her to marry her rapist in order to survive.

No one helps! People only want to see a tamasha! Today Islam is the tamasha!

Story of Gulnaz

This post has been edited by The-Mughal-Sister: 01 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:57 PM (#10) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 August 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

Peadophilia is rife in the west too, doesn't mean fake and concocted stories to demonise western/white ppl is an ethical way of creating awareness off the issue.
I.Will.Back

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:48 PM (#11) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostKnow-the-Ledge, on 01 August 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Peadophilia is rife in the west too, doesn't mean fake and concocted stories to demonise western/white ppl is an ethical way of creating awareness off the issue.

Did I say that that it’s morally justified?

Being fake has nothing to do with a clips capacity to communicate a message.
Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:58 PM (#12) User is online   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 August 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Being fake has nothing to do with a clips capacity to communicate a message.

Sorry dude, fake reporting is a major fraud and it discredits the 'original' message.
Administrator
YaNabi Team

-What is it to make you wonder, if I roam the desert waste?
Not all those who wander are lost!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:01 PM (#13) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostDesert-Sheikh, on 01 August 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Sorry dude, fake reporting is a major fraud and it discredits the 'original' message.

Movies are fake but they can carry a message and influence people.
Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 PM (#14) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Fasting is getting to you, Tahir. Movies communicate a message absent of inciting racial and religious bigotry. They are known to be fictitious too, so are taken in that stride.

The fake story in question here was used for propaganda and dehumanising of a religious diaspora.

I didn't say you are implying anything. Only that irresponsible and unethical schemes don't communicate anything other than fraud and is counter productive to the actual cause. Ppl are left with resentment at being befooled.
I.Will.Back

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:09 PM (#15) User is offline   Fekay 

• Full Eclipse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 August 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Movies are fake but they can carry a message and influence people.

Movies are expected fiction. But then again so is Daily-Mail if you've read it enough.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:30 PM (#16) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostKnow-the-Ledge, on 01 August 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Fasting is getting to you, Tahir. Movies communicate a message absent of inciting racial and religious bigotry.

The clip does not mention Islam nor does it invite a religious debate. BUT unfortunately, Muslims can’t deal with the subject without feeling attacked.

The clip is FAKE but the debates taking place because of it are REAL.
Administrator
YaNabi Team

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services