Spirit Of Islam: Beware Of Tv Charities! Your Zakat Money Is Being Consumed By Money Grabbers! - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beware Of Tv Charities! Your Zakat Money Is Being Consumed By Money Grabbers!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:00 PM (#1) User is offline   Qadri-Jilani 

• Full Moon
  • Group: Administrators

I'm not into naming and shaming but there is a very serious issue of the zakat and sadaqa money of people being devoured by greedy money grabbers on "Islamic" TV channels. The zakat grabbing is even more serious because it's a religious obligation that you must give in order to purify the rest of your wealth. Many people are giving money to these zakat eaters as they run live telethons throughout most of the day and night during the month of Ramadan.

I'm not saying all charities that appear on TV are engaging in fraud and eating haram money--zakat money that belongs to the poor--but TV stations running their own in-house charities such as Ummah TV, Noor TV etc. should definitely be avoided and do your best to warn others.

A brother sent me this report in the morning about Ummah Channel's charity and it prompted me to make this post, you may have already seen it: http://charityscams....ky-channel-828/

It's absolutely despicable and disgusting and I really feel sorry for those Muslims that donate their zakat, sadaqaat, fidya, fitrana to these so-called "charities". I wonder what torment awaits people who feed their lifestyles and their families with this money?

Do not give your zakat money to these channels!

Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat

jarahat al-sinani laha'l-tiyamu ma yaltamu jarahat al-lisani
ei biradar chu 'aqibat khakast, khaak shawesh az ankei khaak shawee
apni millat par qiyas aqwam-e-maghrib sei na kar, khas hei tarkeeb mein qawm-e-Rasool-e-Hashmi

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:46 PM (#2) User is offline   Fekay 

• Full Eclipse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

All Muslims should make sure their Zakat is reaching its rightful recipients. It's one of the core pillars of Islam and should not be taken lightly or on par with regular charity giving.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:13 PM (#3) User is offline   Mudassar-Rana 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

we all have poor people within our own families that should be the first to be considered for zakah. In my own family there are 2 young widows with kids - and there would be no bigger fool if i went round giving charity elsewhere when people were undergoing difficult times within my own household.

Unfortunately its an easy kill. we are as pakistani's and as muslims perhaps the most generous and even gullible when it comes to giving to different causes. DM channel is the same - the haste within which a group of maulvies rushed to set up their own channel shouldnt surprise anyone - there is too much money at stake. The fact that even no one can be bothered to set up something as domain names correctly shows that this isnt a professional set up but charity television is seen as purely cash cows. Its those annoying chanda collectors who come as regularly as buses gone to the next level
my brothers are those who will believe in me, without having seen me.” [Ahmad, Musnad]

Jaag Muslmaan Jaag Muslmaan ... kitna naacho gai ghairon ki dhun par?Jis ummat mein rab ne sher paida kiye aaj wohi gheedar ka libaas apna muqaddar samjh bethi

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:07 PM (#4) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

Live Telethons for fraudulent charities, theatrical trailers, battle of the most product placement and in show give away, unfortunately Ramadhan has been sold, commercialized and it's the month to gain abundant money not blessings for some.

The best place you can give charity is back home, in your village, city, town and the pleasure you gain by watching that well being dug up in front of your own eyes and used can never be gained by paying these fat cats on tv.

With time, Brother QJ, it's going to get more superficial.

“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:07 PM (#5) User is offline   Qadri-Jilani 

• Full Moon

View PostMudassar-Rana, on 21 July 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

we all have poor people within our own families that should be the first to be considered for zakah. In my own family there are 2 young widows with kids - and there would be no bigger fool if i went round giving charity elsewhere when people were undergoing difficult times within my own household.

Unfortunately its an easy kill. we are as pakistani's and as muslims perhaps the most generous and even gullible when it comes to giving to different causes. DM channel is the same - the haste within which a group of maulvies rushed to set up their own channel shouldnt surprise anyone - there is too much money at stake. The fact that even no one can be bothered to set up something as domain names correctly shows that this isnt a professional set up but charity television is seen as purely cash cows. Its those annoying chanda collectors who come as regularly as buses gone to the next level

Yes, and Islam says that your relatives are most rightful (as long as they are not in your direct lineage: parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren etc.)

I agree, I think some of our community can be very gullible, especially when the channels use the garb of religious rhetoric to extort money. The month of Ramadan is the month of giving and this is a time when people are especially vulnerable, especially our aunties watching TV in the holy month.

These people are making hundreds of thousands, in fact millions in some cases as we can see from the report, and the least we can do is not let them get rich with the zakat and sadaqa money of sincere Muslims.

Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat

apni millat par qiyas aqwam-e-maghrib sei na kar, khas hei tarkeeb mein qawm-e-Rasool-e-Hashmi

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:10 PM (#6) User is offline   Qadri-Jilani 

• Full Moon

View PostThe-Mughal-Sister, on 21 July 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

With time, Brother QJ, it's going to get more superficial.

Let's just hope people will see that sister!
...only way to tell will be if their bank balance breaks.

Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:38 AM (#7) User is online   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostQadri-Jilani, on 21 July 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

A brother sent me this in the morning about Ummah Channel's charity and it prompted me to make this post: http://charityscams....ky-channel-828/

A true representation of Maslake Ala Hazrat (ra)!
“Ummah receives this donations over and over again, even for a charity that has been closed.”

-- Money and religion is a poisonous mix.
Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:40 AM (#8) User is offline   Mudassar-Rana 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Look at it holistically - does anybody know how the owners of ummah channel previously earnt their money? Does anybody know how DM owners made their wealth? Do you think any of them cares about "maslak e brelviyat"? The man who refused government stipend? The maulvies salivate at the amount of wealth involved and want a piece of the pie - its as simple as that. Why is it ok for us to have unoccupied mansions and not for them?

Just to back up the initial report a presenter on the channel actually told a friend privately not to donate to the channel!

These people exploit loopholes in the law i.e compensation industry to make their money out of the misery of others. When I was in financial services people would offer me bribes to insure property and cars just so they could put in heavily inflated claims.

I have one easy template with which i judge "alledged religious folk" - the size of their stomach. I have a very wealthy uncle who even at the age of 95 gets up for fajr and spends all day visiting his animals, looking after the state of affairs of his land and it was he who said that I go out each day even at this age so that my food is halal for me.

More and more people are turning away from deen not just in england but even pakistan the atheist movement is growing - and in my eyes it is down to the fact that the religious hierarchy have shamelessly failed people.
my brothers are those who will believe in me, without having seen me.” [Ahmad, Musnad]

Jaag Muslmaan Jaag Muslmaan ... kitna naacho gai ghairon ki dhun par?Jis ummat mein rab ne sher paida kiye aaj wohi gheedar ka libaas apna muqaddar samjh bethi

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:43 AM (#9) User is offline   blogger 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

View PostQadri-Jilani, on 21 July 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

I'm not saying all charities that appear on TV are engaging in fraud and eating haram money--zakat money that belongs to the poor--but TV stations running their own in-house charities such as Ummah TV, Noor TV etc. should definitely be avoided and do your best to warn others.

It's disheartening if true ...

Can Mohammed-Shafiq (a key member of the Ummah Channel team currently promoting the Ummah Channel chartity work) who happily uses Yanabi.com's twitter feed come forward and provide a response here please. If he doesn't come forward then I suggest Yanabi.com ban him from this website.

Brother QJ what has Noor TV done?

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:57 AM (#10) User is offline   Major-Screw-Loose 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Would it help if channels such as Ummah TV simply shut down completely for good? At least that way people/doners wouldn't get robbed and at least then the people would give zakat/sadaqah in a more different way, e.g. the traditional/classic way, i.e. get up and walk to the masjid and give your donations/zakat there and obtain a receipt or go to Pakistan or Africa and hand out your donations to poor people from your own hands yourself instead of getting some TV channel to do this job for you.

Is Ummah TV and Ummah Walfare (charity shop on Manningham Lane in Bradford) the same company? I have paid donations/chanda in the past by going directly to Ummah Walfare shop. Did I do the right thing? Or should I avoid them in the future?

Qadri Jilani mentioned Noor TV in his first post. Is Noor TV doing dodgy chanda collection also? But I thought Noor TV was a Pure and Islamic and clean channel where they do programmes and chanda collection for the right reasons and with the right intentions.... or have I been wrong about this?

I don't get it, why would Noor TV wana do somat like dat. I mean they've got a well known establishment such as colleges, uni's, madrassahs, TV channel etc, all owned by Noor TV and the person in charge of Noor TV and its whole organisation is Pir Shaikh ul-Alam - Shaikh Alaudin Siddiqui Sahib. Am I correct in thinking that the there are 'some' people on channels like Ummah TV and may be also Noor TV channel are doing fraud against chanda/charity collection but that does not mean Shaikh ul-Alam - Shaikh Alaudin Siddiqui Sahib is at fault and is not involved in doing chanda-fraud.

I personally haven't met Pir Shaikh ul-Alam - Shaikh Alaudin Siddiqui Sahib in my life but only seen on TV and don't think they're at fault or have anything to do with chanda-fraud. I think Pir Shaikh ul-Alam - Shaikh Alaudin Siddiqui Sahib should do something to stamp out chanda-fraud if such illegal activities are operating on Noor TV channel.

Tenks (Indian Ocean way of saying Thanks).
Eat healthy and stay healthy

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:23 PM (#11) User is offline   naqshbandihaqqani 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

It is disgusting if true -- better, as MR says, to give your hard-earned cash to poorer relatives in the mother country.

However, I've got to be honest and say that I clicked on the link given by brother QJ and that site is definitely not professionally done -- in fact the uneducated 'desi' English is so obvious I'm almost ready to believe it is a fraudulent website itself or a set-up.

Any professional company investigating fraud would not have such lousy standards of written English (.e.g. ''...Donors does not notice that the charity name has actually changed,..."). Secondly, a careful read of the website shows that it is all allegations without any proof. They quote 'reliable sources' without naming who these sources are! And the names of the people writing on the site such as 'naqshbandi qadri' etc. also further suggest it is set up by another group of Muslims opposed for some reason to the owners of Ummah Channel. Given the intra-Barelvi rivalry of the recent few years I wouldn't put it past these people to cook up stuff like this.

Unless we have concrete proof we should give Ummah Channel the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty. That's both Islamically and morally and legally the correct position to take.

p.s. Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated or connected to Ummah Channel or any of its' affiliates and nor do I wish to be but I am trying to be as fair as possible.

I believe it is the government Charities Commission's job to investigate fraud not some cheesed off rival mullahs or their acolytes!

O marvel! A garden amidst the flames! My heart has become capable of every form:
it is a pasture for gazelles, and a convent for Christian monks,A temple for idols, and the pilgrim's Ka'ba,
the tables of the Torah and the book of the Quran. I follow the religion of Love: whatever way
Love's camels take, that is my religion and my faith.

-Ibn Arabi

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:39 PM (#12) User is offline   muslim.online 

• New Moon
  • Pip
  • Group: Member

i would second brother skeptic, looks fraudalent.

also domain was only registered last week with what looks like made up details.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:18 PM (#13) User is offline   HanafiUK 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

I feel disgusted too at these charities, I have been hearing for many years that these charities scam people but to be honest i always tried to give them excuses, the reason is because big Alims are asking for donations, I was thinking that they must know what they are doing, and they wont let anyone mismanage the charities. I am not pointing fingers at any particular charity but we all know alot of these charties do alot of mismanagement of the funds. And every channel i see, they are asking for charity. Its like a competition between various channels, I am not just saying sunni ones, but channels by other sects are begging too. They are more smarter though.

I would advice everyone to give to your local people in Pakistan, Bangladesh, India etc, if not then donate to those charities who you can travel with to give the money to the poor. Plus we all should keep an eye on the charities we donate too, this way we can tell what projects they have done. Someone mentioned Noor Tv charity and to be honest, i found them the best charity around. I know they have been investigated once or twice but they do spend the money on Islamic university, medical colleges, hospitals. The medical college on its own cost around 3odd million pounds. So you could guess where the money is going to. One question is on my mind that are we allowed to give our zakah to building schools, universities, medical colleges? I thought it wasnt allowed.

There are other big charities on my mind which i feel suspicious off, but i will not mention them as it will cause fitna. I checked on them for years and they hardly do any projects but keep requesting for more money.

By the way i always donate to Muslim Charity. This is because even back in Pakistan, local people will not give the money you send for Zakah to the individual or the local guys will try to make it as they done a favour to other people for giving my zakah to them (I have to send it via the bank you see). I even noticed this and i really get hurt as people normally request you to send your zakah to them so they can distribute but they are only after making their name ie Chaudary Sahib is so great, he sorts charities out) I mean why cant Muslims do it for Allah Almighty rather than making a name for themselves.
Learn true Islam - www.ahlus-sunna.com

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:30 PM (#14) User is offline   A-New-Hope 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

I would third brother Sunniskeptic. I read the article on a rival forum earlier and noticed the incorrect english.

There were claims about evidence. Where is the evidence? Could they share it with us?

'Evidence shows...'

...there's evidence...'

..from evidence we received...'
"A Friend of Allah should have affection like the sun, generosity like a river and hospitality like the earth." (Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti of Ajmer Sharif, India).

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM (#15) User is offline   Khalid_the_Warrior 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

I'm do not know about Ummah Channel and it's charity affairs but I would advise people against giving your Zakat to TV channels. I have briefly worked with a charity and I didn't like what was going on there. The Zakat money is only for poors and should be given ONLY to them. Find them and give it to them, don't get lazy. It's also part of zakat to give it to the right people.
Repentance is a strange mount -
it jumps towards heaven in a single moment from the lowest place

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:43 PM (#16) User is offline   HanafiUK 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

View PostKhalid_the_Warrior, on 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

I'm do not know about Ummah Channel and it's charity affairs but I would advise people against giving your Zakat to TV channels. I have briefly worked with a charity and I didn't like what was going on there. The Zakat money is only for poors and should be given ONLY to them. Find them and give it to them, don't get lazy. It's also part of zakat to give it to the right people.

Since you worked with a charity i wanted to ask you a question. Is it true that only 1% of your donation is actually given to the poor person and all the rest is spend on wages,running costs of the charity?
Learn true Islam - www.ahlus-sunna.com

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:22 PM (#17) User is offline   Qadri-Jilani 

• Full Moon

I cannot vouch for the reliability of that report. What I would say is that there are a lot of details in there which cannot simply be made up. What I would also say is that the information is quite consistent with things I have heard from a different sources and if you add them up, it paints a picture similar to the report.

It could be an insider (a disgruntled one?) but I have heard info from some insiders (or those with insider info) that's not actually there so it does look like it's based on research.

Typing or grammar errors does not mean they are not being truthful. They are two different things.

We had a thread on here a while ago which stated that Ummah Channel charity had only spent a small amount of money collected on actual charity, and that was from the Charity Commission website itself. Although I'm appalled at that news, I'm not entirely surprised as I knew this was going on for a long time. All the channels are at it.

The report has some basic factual things such as the fact that the Ummah Channel charity now operates as Human Hands instead of Ummah Global Relief. You can see it on your TV screens. There are a number of things for everyone to see. Don't think that the businessmen running these channels have a great sympathy for the poor, or engage in any kind of philanthropy themselves. If so, let's see it.

Noor TV is known to spend charity money on other activities such as running the TV channel, building projects and the unknowns which we don't need to speculate too much about.

Bottom line, regardless of every fact presented in the report, is that if you see a businessman or pir or moulvi dedicating much of his time to publically collecting donations for "causes" then it is a reason to be suspicious. According to many I have spoken to, it's the most lucrative business right now for people in the religious sphere so you will see that they are giving way more priority to "charity" than any other activity. That's on TV or outside TV.

I think it's dangerous to generalise also as there are plenty of Ulama and Pirs who don't run charities, and have kept themselves clean in this respect.

Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:44 AM (#18) User is offline   shanty 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

The only Super Duper Trustable Charity is Dawat-e-Islami! Zindabaad!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:03 AM (#19) User is offline   blogger 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

View PostQadri-Jilani, on 22 July 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Noor TV is known to spend charity money on other activities such as running the TV channel, building projects and the unknowns which we don't need to speculate too much about.

The weight of proof in comparison to the weight of the allegation against Noor TV is shocking. Brother I'll ask again what fraudulent or deceptive activities are Noor TV engaging in and do you have any information regarding this (similar to Ummah Channel)?
(By the way I'm not a mureed of Pir Saheb's but I just feel naming without any information to back up a significant claim at the very least is irresponsible if not damaging).

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:29 AM (#20) User is online   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View Postblogger, on 23 July 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

The weight of proof in comparison to the weight of the allegation against Noor TV is shocking. Brother I'll ask again what fraudulent or deceptive activities are Noor TV engaging in and do you have any information regarding this (similar to Ummah Channel)?
(By the way I'm not a mureed of Pir Saheb's but I just feel naming without any information to back up a significant claim at the very least is irresponsible if not damaging).

"Media regulator fines Noor TV £75,000 for encouraging audience members to donate money in return for prayers"

"Further, appeals for funds should not improperly exploit the susceptibilities of the audience. Ofcom considered that vulnerable people, such as those experiencing financial or emotional difficulties, may be unduly encouraged to give donations.

"In particular, Ofcom considered it unacceptable for a licensee to persuade viewers to donate money on the basis of inducements such as offering a prayer for or on behalf of the donor; the promise of better health; or that a religious figure will create further wealth for donors or take particular care of donors."

http://www.guardian....v-channel-fined
Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password