Spirit Of Islam: The Power Of Intermittent Fasting - Bbc: Horizon, Monday 6th August - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Power Of Intermittent Fasting - Bbc: Horizon, Monday 6th August

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:19 AM (#1) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon
  • Group: Moderators

Salaam

There has been a surge of late in the number of articles, documentaries and scientific studies that all point towards the health benefits of fasting. Most striking of all is how virtually every article is in complete harmony with the prophetic (PBUH) sunnah of fasting TWICE WEEKLY. The health benefits are amazing and have been attributed to increased life expectancy, decreased risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, decreased cardiovascular complications and much more.
Here is an example:

Michael Mosley presents Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC Two at 21:00 BST on Monday 6 August. Watch online afterwards via iPlayer (UK only) or browse Horizon clips at the above link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19112549

The above link will direct you to an article on the Horizon documentary:

I decided I couldn't manage ADF, it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.

There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials. I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night.

On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge.

I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks, during which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved. If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes.

(Although the article does continue to say there isn’t enough evidence blab la bla – a disclaimer if you like – no medical professional, product of device will ever accept full responsibility. ONLY pharmacists do that!)

Now – contrast this with the following narrations:

1257. 'A'isha said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to take care to fast on Mondays and Thursdays." [at-Tirmidhi]

1255. Abu Qatada reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was asked about fasting Mondays and he said, "That is the day on which I was born and the day when I was sent - or when revelation descended on me." [Muslim]

1256. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Actions are presented on Mondays and Thursdays, so I like my actions to be presented while I am fasting." (Muslim related it without mentioning fasting.) [at-Tirmidhi]

Here is another example, this time on how fasting once or twice a week benefits the brain:

http://www.guardian....ases-scientists

Fasting can help protect against brain diseases, scientists say

Claim that giving up almost all food for one or two days a week can counteract impact of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's

Our beloved, over 1400 years ago gave us such amazing guidance yet many only care about the outwardly acts...what about his lifestyle?

Feel free to PM me if you have any health issues / ailments.

Confidentiality will be maintained.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:15 AM (#2) User is offline   Qadri-Jilani 

• Full Moon
  • Group: Administrators

Don't forget, the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his family) said Dawudi fasting is the best ftype of fasting, that is that Hazrat Dawud (peace be upon him) fasted on alternate days - fast one day and to leave the fast the next. This is the conclusion that the programme came to also. Do not, however, the primary purpose of fasting is spiritual, but of course a spiritual lifestyle results in a healthy lifestyle.

Very informative programme by the way.

Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat

jarahat al-sinani laha'l-tiyamu ma yaltamu jarahat al-lisani
ei biradar chu 'aqibat khakast, khaak shawesh az ankei khaak shawee
apni millat par qiyas aqwam-e-maghrib sei na kar, khas hei tarkeeb mein qawm-e-Rasool-e-Hashmi

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:41 PM (#3) User is offline   blogger 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password