I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're gone
#

On this day 100 years ago the ship which was at the time considered the worlds most prestigous and largest sealiner nicknamed 'the Unsinkable Ship' sank on her maiden voyage enroute to New York. The sealiner which took years to build and with no expenses spared started its journey, departing from Southampton on 10th April 1912. Some of the worlds richest Men and Women along with hundreds of Ordinary Families, Men, Women and Children seeking a new life in the States boarded the Luxerious liner from 3 cities, Southampton in the UK, from the port city of Cherbourg in France and Queenstown in Ireland .

Untold number of documentaries and films have been made on the 'Titanic' and from these vast docu/movies, the 1997 film by James Cameron 'The Titanic' stands out from all the rest (no doubt) The whole world went crazy over this movie.

Re-live The Titanic (100 years on) and share a thing or two about the most talked about ship in the world.

At 11.40pm on the night of 14 April 1912, en route to New York and on her maiden voyage, the RMS Titanic struck the iceberg that would ultimately lead to her sinking less than 3 hours later. At around 2.20am on the morning of 15 April, RMS Titanic disappeared beneath the surface of the Atlantic Ocean, a disaster that resulted in the loss of more than 1,500 lives, almost two-thirds of the people on board.

Titanic had 16 sets of davits, each able to handle 4 lifeboats. This gave Titanic the ability to carry up to 64 wooden lifeboats[59] which would have been enough for 4,000 people – considerably more than her actual capacity. However, the White Star Line decided that only 16 wooden lifeboats and four collapsibles would be carried, which could accommodate 1,178 people, only one-third of Titanic's total capacity. At the time, the Board of Trade's regulations required British vessels over 10,000 tons to carry 16 lifeboats with a capacity of 990 occupants.[57] Therefore, the White Star Line actually provided much more lifeboat accommodation than was legally required

"The sounds of people drowning are something that I can not describe to you, and neither can anyone else. Its the most dreadful sound and there is a terrible silence that follows it." Eva Hart, Survivor of the Titanic.

On April 17, 1912, the day before survivors of the Titanic disaster reached New York, the Mackay-Bennett was sent off from Halifax, Nova Scotia to search for bodies. On board the Mackay-Bennett were embalming supplies, 40 embalmers, tons of ice, and 100 coffins. Although the Mackay-Bennett found 306 bodies, 116 of these were too badly damaged to take all the way back to shore. Attempts were made to identify each body found. Additional ships were also sent out to look for bodies. In all, 328 bodies were found, but 119 of these were badly damaged and thus were buried at sea.

Class and type: Olympic-class ocean liner
Tonnage: 46,328 GRT
Displacement: 52,310 tons
Length: 882 ft 6 in (269.0 m)
Beam: 92 ft 0 in (28.0 m)
Height: 175 ft (53.3 m) (keel to top of funnels)
Draught: 34 ft 7 in (10.5 m)
Depth: 64 ft 6 in (19.7 m)
Decks: 9 (A–G)
Installed power: 24 double-ended and 5 single-ended boilers feeding two reciprocating steam engines for the wing propellers and a low-pressure turbine for the center propeller.[1] Effect: 46,000 HP
Propulsion: Two 3-blade wing propellers and one 4-blade centre propeller
Speed: Cruising: 21 kn (39 km/h; 24 mph). Max: 24 kn (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Capacity: Passengers: 2,435, crew: 892
Notes: Lifeboats: 20 for 1,178 people

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:05 PM (#2) User is offline   Fekay 

• Full Eclipse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

RIP for the lost lives...true tragedy which bought millions to tears.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:44 AM (#3) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salams,

@ Fekay - Ameen (Brother)
so many young children died in the tragedy.

How she sank!?! -

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 PM (#4) User is offline   Fatema-the-resplendent 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • Group: Moderators

All disasters are horrible, but being stuck in the middle of the Ocean, on a cold night, knowing that the ship you are on is sinking whilst people srambling to get on the lifeboats is very scary and saddening. The chivalrous act of the Men allowing women and children on first brings a humble little note to a disastrous night.

This post has been edited by Fatema-the-resplendent: 15 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

...And my mercy embraces all things.

(Surah al araf, Quran)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 AM (#5) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salams,

This clip just briefly shows what might have happened that night, very sad indeed! The chaos, The confusion, The kind of things going through the minds of The Families - Seeing their Loved ones for the Last time in this World..... May ALLAH Reward them in the next world. Its been reported certain people who could not get into the boats swam/dived in to the freezing Atlantic Ocean and died of freezing (to death)

In Liverpool, at the Maritime Museum (in display to the public) they have artifacts, materials, remnants that were recovered and belongings that were found on The RMS Titanic - makes one think what it might have been like on that ship.

(Portrayed in the video) The characters of the band on board the doomed liner in real life were from Lancashire!

May ALLAH Save everyone of us from such an end! Posted Image

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:37 AM (#6) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

salam

ny sweet brothers and sweet sisters

I beleive muslims should focus on their own titanic mostrous and gigantic catastrophes - we have plenty of hem through our history.

and dont get sucked in by the hollywod version its not true

Its not my fault you havent educated yourself snd havent seen passed the front door of your local inner city comprehensive

dr aq

...............................PhD Cardiff MA Oxford PGDip
Dr AQ- Product of a classcial education , fee paying of course!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:31 PM (#7) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salams,

Recently a street play was performed in the city of Liverpool which lasted three days, A true story of a little girl who lost her father on the titanic bought a city to a standstill. This is a little glimpse of what happened. It was absouletly awesome! The Little Girl 100 years on -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s_Titanic_Girl/

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:46 PM (#8) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salams,

Went to the museam (again, after a couple of years) yesterday, enjoyed it (albeit) got there really late. The Captain of Titanic (Captain Edward John Smith) was born in Liverpool and so was Bruce Ismay - The Chairman and Managing Director of The Doomed Ship.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the fourth floor (at the maritime museam) they have 'The Black Slave Museam' how and in what condition The Africans were shipped from Africa to America (via liverpool) - makes one think the kind of abuse they must have suffered. Its been said that the conditions were so tough for the Africans that they would step over each others Human Feces and whilst making the journey across the Atlantic many who were weak - died. The Dead it has been told were sometimes left in the same space as with the living for days if not weeks. (something to think about) - the slave traders who were dealing in slavery they (majority did not beleive in God) where did their act of evilness come from?

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:20 PM (#9) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

View Postbadman, on 14 April 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

[center][center]Salams,

# Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on

Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're gone
[size="5"]#

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in, or if you and SS are related by any chance.

I bet you are a bathroom singer and belt out a Celine Dion number. :unsure:

This post has been edited by The-Mughal-Sister: 10 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:47 PM (#10) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

salam

interesting topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr aq
Dr AQ- Product of a classcial education , fee paying of course!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM (#11) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

View PostThe-Mughal-Sister, on 10 January 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Sometimes I wonder what world you live in, or if you and SS are related by any chance.

I bet you are a bathroom singer and belt out a Celine Dion number. :unsure:
[/size]

Salams,

The recent snow and floods - thanks to me!!! no water drought where i go (trust me) the heavens do open up, LolZ

Challa ki labh daa phirey
Challa ki labh daa phirey
Yaaron main ghar kehdaa
Lokan ton puchdaa phirey
Challa hansda phirey
Challa rounda phirey
Challa gali gali ruldaa phirey:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic