Spirit Of Islam: Did The Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wassalam Allow Christians To Worship In His Masjid - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did The Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wassalam Allow Christians To Worship In His Masjid

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:34 AM (#1) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

salam

I have been reading alot about how Islam is accomodative of various religions and that the prophet himself was respectful of christianity etc.

A often quoted example if the event of the chrstians from najran and abyssinya that came to medina and when it was their prayer time, the prophet gave them permission to worship their god in their usual manner.

Howevver, i come across other sunni publications and documents that suggest otherwise. These documents/ scholars stae that the:

prophet never gave non muslims permission to pray in their non islamic manner to their lord.

Please could you inform me of your thoughts on this mater as there are many many interfaith events that take place where this event is quoted.

thanks

dr aq
Dr AQ- Product of a classcial education , fee paying of course!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:06 PM (#2) User is offline   objective-enquirer 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • Group: Moderators

not my area of research though i know of an instance of it happening with the permission of the Noble Messenger(s).
first of all, non-muslims are not allowed in the haram of mecca because the Qur'an forbids it. secondly, there is majority jurist opinion if not unanimous that non-muslims are allowed in the masjids.

hazrat umar refused to pray in the church in syria because it is possible that due to this the later muslims may interpret this in a wrong way and convert it into a mosque. what i find here is that he didnt say that namaz is not allowed rather his doing so may be a signal for its conversion into a mosque down the line.

as in everything, there are many opinions and i suspect the salafist-wahabis have their own twist. however, in surah ale imran verse 61; known as ayah al-mubahala in which the christians from najran in yemen came to debate with the Prophet(s) and they were invited to masjid al-nabawi where this discussion took place. However, it was time for their prayers so the Prophet(s) allowed them to pray in the Masjid. the reference for this is in the commentry of this verse by salafi forefather ibn kathir in his tafsir.

the matter did not get resolved so then there was a mubahala in which ONLY panjtan paak took part and went to the plains to make du'a though the christians refused by saying that we see such faces that if they pray then these mountains will turn into dust, etc.

the point is that it took place towards the end of the Prophet(S)'s life.

now, to interpret it as general principle of permissibility would be a mistake because special circimstances is the condition here. in special cases when there is a need then perhaps it allowed according to that report, just mentioned. as for non-muslims entering masjids, etc. it allowed by almost everyone.

it doesnt mean that we invite the jhoevahs witness and set up camp there!!!
Eyesight is useless if the insight is blind

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:26 PM (#3) User is offline   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

View Postqalam, on 01 February 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

salam

I have been reading alot about how Islam is accomodative of various religions and that the prophet himself was respectful of christianity etc.
Please could you inform me of your thoughts on this mater as there are many many interfaith events that take place where this event is quoted.

thanks

dr aq

Prophet'(Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) declared all other religions and believes false and null but He (Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) was respectful towards the 'individuals', the scholars, tribal lords or chiefs of other religion or states because of his high mannerisms but not respectful of other religions.

It's Prophet's (Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) special authority if he (Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) allowed non-muslims to pray into the Mosque but it does not give a licence to anyone to allow non-muslim into the Mosque. Anyone who allows them to worship into the Mosque is highly mistaken or might have some political agendas. You don't have to stage such stunts to prove your kindness or affection with the followers of the other religions.

Administrator
YaNabi Team

-What is it to make you wonder, if I roam the desert waste?
Not all those who wander are lost!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:30 PM (#4) User is offline   qadrimuslim 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

It is only fair to point out that this issue is connected with Dr Tahir ul Qadri. We do not agree with everything he says or does but we cannot condone extremists who slander and swear at him or go on to do Takfir of Dr Sahib. It is just disgusting behaviour with no benefit to anyone.

I agree with brothers DS and OE, the instance in discussion was an isolated event and cannot be used to give blanket permission for Christians to pray in the Masajid.

As for non-Muslims entering the Masajid, there are different categories of disbelievers, People of the Book, Idolators, Apostates etc

From what I know, Hindus are not allowed to enter the Masjid because they are open Idolators.

"The Sufi Must Submit to the Faqih" - Shaykh Ahmad Zurruq (RA)

Wa-la Ghalib Il-Allah "There is no Conqueror but Allah"

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:41 PM (#5) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

View Postqadrimuslim, on 01 February 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

It is only fair to point out that this issue is connected with Dr Tahir ul Qadri. We do not agree with everything he says or does but we cannot condone extremists who slander and swear at him or go on to do Takfir of Dr Sahib. It is just disgusting behaviour with no benefit to anyone.

I agree with brothers DS and OE, the instance in discussion was an isolated event and cannot be used to give blanket permission for Christians to pray in the Masajid.

As for non-Muslims entering the Masajid, there are different categories of disbelievers, People of the Book, Idolators, Apostates etc

From what I know, Hindus are not allowed to enter the Masjid because they are open Idolators.

salam

what if you have an interfaith event and people want to come in to see and discuss and talk.

surely this must be allowed int it?

dr aq

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:38 PM (#6) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostDesert-Sheikh, on 01 February 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

It's Prophet's (Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) special authority if he (Sallallahu Alieh Wassalam) allowed non-muslims to pray into the Mosque but it does not give a licence to anyone to allow non-muslim into the Mosque.

Who decides if it's Sunnah or an exception? Humans! Hence, the will of humans eventually attains the status of being Devine will of God or His beloved Prophet.

Tell me, what are the actual drawbacks for letting a Christian practice his faith in a Mosque?

Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:48 PM (#7) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View Postqadrimuslim, on 01 February 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

So everyone should carry a sign on their foreheads before entering a Mosque? Open Idolaters, yes some worship living beings while others worship stones. A Church will provide you refuge when all doors a closed. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the Mosque.

Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:38 PM (#8) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

salam

i find it both disturbing and interesting that we are having this debate.

So how are we to engage with peoples of other faith if we dont have the deceny or strength of conviction to invite them into our places of worship?

They are good enough to convert to be muslims but not to visit the masjid?

doesnt make sense?

dr aq

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM (#9) User is offline   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Tell me, what are the actual drawbacks for letting a Christian practice his faith in a Mosque?

What is a Mosque?
Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:45 PM (#10) User is offline   technocore 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Did the requirement to allow such thing ever happened again in Master (saaw)'s life - where he rejected such a request ?
If no, than from his action, it appears to be permissible if the situation arises ..... and if yes then it was definitely an isolated incident .... Doesn't that make sense ?

- The most favorable friend to me is that who shows me my flaws -

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:50 PM (#11) User is offline   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View Postqalam, on 01 February 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

salam

i find it both disturbing and interesting that we are having this debate.

So how are we to engage with peoples of other faith if we dont have the deceny or strength of conviction to invite them into our places of worship?

They are good enough to convert to be muslims but not to visit the masjid?

doesnt make sense?

dr aq

It's not rocket science - Inviting non-Muslim to Islam and allowing non-Muslim into the Mosque are two different matters.

Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:51 PM (#12) User is offline   technocore 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

View PostDesert-Sheikh, on 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

What is a Mosque?

A room made out of bricks/concrete ... to organize different forms of congregational prayers/worship ...
Tell me brother ... can a group of people sitting in the middle of nowhere start congregational prayers ? Is it permissible to have jummah prayers on any open piece of land .... provided its clean ?

Apparently for the followers of the blessed Prophet (saaw) .... the whole earth is a mosque.

- The most favorable friend to me is that who shows me my flaws -

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:02 PM (#13) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

salam

please bring this thread back to its original question.

1. Did the prophet give permission to the christians to perform their worship in the masjid

2. Why are non Muslims allowed into the masjid

Where does this leave mosque open days - what do we say to the public - "MOSQUE open day hindus and other non people of the book persona non grata" ?

dr aq

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:06 PM (#14) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostDesert-Sheikh, on 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

What is a Mosque?

The Holy Prophet peace be upon him didn’t build buildings he devoted his efforts towards building human beings.

House of God but in reality house of those who believe in God, in other words sanctity of your mosque is as holy as you are. Which religious practice can only be performed in a mosque? If these practices can transform a human devised building as holy then why can’t the same be true for my house?

Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:48 PM (#15) User is offline   naqshbandihaqqani 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

To be fair Sidi AH of another Sunni forum has written a frankly brilliant academic refutation of Dr. Tahir ul Qadri's sleight-of-hand about the hadith of the Christians who prayed in the Mosque. If you are intellectually honest you will have to admit that TuQ blatantly manipulated that hadith.

It is too large to upload but here is the link to Minhaji Fata Morgana: An examination of Professor Tahir's embellished narrative of the Najran and Abyssinian delegations.

Please read it before you make any comments;. Until -- (I doubt it!)
any one of the Prof's supporters or he himself can refute these claims he has been shown (yet again) to have not been honest and frankly misled people
to fulfil whatever agenda he has.
"My intercession is for my sinful followers" - hadith of Sayyidina Rasool Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam
Shay'an Lillah Ya Shaykh Abd al Qadir! (q)
"Ana'l Haqq!" - Husayn ibn Mansoor al Hallaj (q)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:50 PM (#16) User is offline   Mudassar-Rana 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

The Holy Prophet peace be upon him didn’t build buildings he devoted his efforts towards building human beings.

If ever the ummah, its scholars, its thinkers, its detractors missed something it is what you say above. When mosques were rudimentary we led the world, and when mosques became architectural masterpieces we can't run a pee up in a brewery!
my brothers are those who will believe in me, without having seen me.” [Ahmad, Musnad]

Jaag Muslmaan Jaag Muslmaan ... kitna naacho gai ghairon ki dhun par?Jis ummat mein rab ne sher paida kiye aaj wohi gheedar ka libaas apna muqaddar samjh bethi

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:00 PM (#17) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

View Postsunniskeptic, on 01 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

To be fair Sidi AH of another Sunni forum has written a frankly brilliant academic refutation of Dr. Tahir ul Qadri's sleight-of-hand about the hadith of the Christians who prayed in the Mosque. If you are intellectually honest you will have to admit that TuQ blatantly manipulated that hadith.

salam

what intelectual capacity and foundation do you have to make such a crass and bold statement brother/ sister?

dr aq

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:06 PM (#18) User is offline   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog

View PostTahir-Riaz, on 01 February 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

House of God but in reality house of those who believe in God, in other words sanctity of your mosque is as holy as you are. Which religious practice can only be performed in a mosque? If these practices can transform a human devised building as holy then why can’t the same be true for my house?

Non-Muslims are Najas (totally impure) and not allowed to enter into the Mosque Even an unclean/impure Muslim (when bathing is obligatory) is strictly forbidden to enter a Mosque. By performing religious practices your home may become a Mussala not Mosque, it's not just about religious practices, Mosque is a dedicated place and it can only apply to your home if you decalre your house as Mosque. And once an area is formally designated as a Mosque, it will remain so until the Day of Qiyamat.

Baqi app behatr jante hein....lassi nu jinna wadha lau.

@ Qalam,

If this doesn't make sense to you, then go to see a psychiatrist.

@ technocore

Brother, i don't know the answer to you question, but you can start a new topic to discuss it.

Administrator
YaNabi Team

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:22 PM (#19) User is offline   qalam 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

salam

I strongly agree with your totalitarian view and authoritarian stance. You have stated that non Muslims are not allowed in masajid but have not given a proper justifiable sensical answer.

Mosques have school visits where young children and their teachers are brought to the masjid is this dis allowed too or are we to say that kids are allowed as they are potential converts but the adults arenot as they are bonified najas

dr aq

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:33 PM (#20) User is offline   naqshbandihaqqani 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

I have come to that decision after reading the linked book in detail -- the arguments therein leave little doubt about it. I trust you will have the intellectual honesty to read the book first before pointing fingers brother. I have the intellect to read and understand both the original claims by TuQ and the refutation by the author of Minhaji Fata Morgana. It is nothing personal againt TuQ. I no longer have allegiances to individuals but am my own judge based on available evidence....

View Postqalam, on 01 February 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

salam

what intelectual capacity and foundation do you have to make such a crass and bold statement brother/ sister?

dr aq

"My intercession is for my sinful followers" - hadith of Sayyidina Rasool Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam
Shay'an Lillah Ya Shaykh Abd al Qadir! (q)
"Ana'l Haqq!" - Husayn ibn Mansoor al Hallaj (q)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services