Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Falling Asleep When Reading The Quraan

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:58 AM (#1) User is offline   Asina 

• New Moon
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Assalamu alykum my dear brothers and sisters.
Well i have a BIG concern, so here it goes: You see when i try to read Quran, hadiths, and islamic lectures, i fall asleep. I really don't know why?Is it from saitan or is it a sign that indicated lack of Iman? sometimes i challenge myself, but i end up breaking the challenge. I also fall asleep during khutbah on Fridays and i try to stay awake, but im just too sleepy and sadly enough after the khutbah, I'm suddenly awake and ready to move on with life. I'm also like that when it comes to lectures in school and when i'm assigned to read novels for school. I hate this because i always feel guilty and i miss out on alot. Even when i go to the mosque to listen to the translation of the quran, i come back not knowing a word or idea the sheikh said. I'm also envious towards my friends because they never fall asleep and i just wonder, is there a cause to my "never Ending sleep" or is it something i can train my brain to not do. Please offer any suggestion possible because this is having an effect on my life and is preventing me from acquiring knowledge especially islamic knowledge and i don't want to become a loser since i'm a youth and this is the best time to build myself off the right way. The sooner you reply, the more helpful it will be . jazakallah in advance
P.S- sometimes its not a slee, rather sudden tiredness and i'm unconcious of my surrounding.

This post has been edited by The-Mughal-Sister: 18 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:39 PM (#2) User is offline   Just_Ahsun 

• just_ahsun
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Alaikum assalam,

Maybe it's a neuro condition or maybe it's got something to do with your physical health, like say if your slightly over weight than it might make you more lazier than normal. I'm sure it's not satanic waswasas as we are made to believe each time, since you struggle at school too. Have you visited a doctor or gp with regards to this? If I were you, I would take medical counselling asap sister as to me it seems your unable to concentrate on things which might have a reason behind it.

Look after yourself.

fi amanilah
The tranquility of both worlds lies in two things: magnanimity towards friends and the wise management of enemies.

- Hafiz al-Shirazi

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:49 PM (#3) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

When does this occur? When you're studying? When your trying to concentrate? Or anytime? The satan does make one tired or drowsy when praying salah or reading and listening to beneficial information.
Look at your diet, your daily activity, and if you are not active, try to become more active and eat healthily.

There is a know condition called Narcolepsy
It's like all of a sudden one goes off to sleep this is in extreme cases. But click on the link and have a read, if you are worried go to your G.P.

This post has been edited by The-Mughal-Sister: 18 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:41 AM (#4) User is offline   Asina 

• New Moon
  • Pip

View PostThe-Mughal-Sister, on 18 June 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

When does this occur? When you're studying? When your trying to concentrate? Or anytime? The satan does make one tired or drowsy when praying salah or reading and listening to beneficial information.
Look at your diet, your daily activity, and if you are not active, try to become more active and eat healthily.

There is a know condition called Narcolepsy
It's like all of a sudden one goes off to sleep this is in extreme cases. But click on the link and have a read, if you are worried go to your G.P.

It mostly happens when i'm trying to concentrate. Before i used to think it depended which position i was at, but i came to realize that it happens at anywhere: the masjis, my neighbors house, in the school bus, etc etc. Its not all the time, but its often and it annoys the heck out of me.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:44 AM (#5) User is offline   Asina 

• New Moon
  • Pip

View PostJust_Ahsun, on 18 June 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

Alaikum assalam,

Maybe it's a neuro condition or maybe it's got something to do with your physical health, like say if your slightly over weight than it might make you more lazier than normal. I'm sure it's not satanic waswasas as we are made to believe each time, since you struggle at school too. Have you visited a doctor or gp with regards to this? If I were you, I would take medical counselling asap sister as to me it seems your unable to concentrate on things which might have a reason behind it.

Look after yourself.

fi amanilah

i'm not overweight and i do exercise once a week. I didnt ask any doctor about this because i thought it was something that i can fix myself.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:47 PM (#6) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

If this problem is interrupting your daily life then professional help should be sought.

Just to be on the safe side, make an appointment to see your doctor. Maybe they can give you some information or investigate the problem further.

“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services