• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Being left-handed in Islam

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:55 PM (#1) User is offline   Modest-Muslimah 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Salaam

Being a left-handed person in this right-hand world is not exactly the easiest thing, however i am proud to be left-handed, makes me different to the rest, however can be annoying when you get those 'comments' from right-handed people such as 'oh so you're wrong-handed?' etc.....

Although i like being left-handed, when it comes to islam how does one go about it? from what i know of islamically it is fine to be left-handed as you are just born like that, however i know when it comes to eating one should eat with their right-hand. Now for those lefties out there who are so fixated on being a lefty and just cannot eat with their right or just are not in the habit of eating with their right, how does one come about it? would islam excuse people who are strongly left-handed or is it a sunnah for the whole ummah?

I would like to hear your views on that.

Jazakallah
'Woman was made from the rib of man. She was not created from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be stepped upon. She was made from his side to be close to him, from beneath his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him'

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:25 PM (#2) User is offline   AUUA-Youth 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Allah created you  left handed, so i thinks its unfair call you wrong handed

In regards to eating with the right hand, it is a specific sunnah, so it is the more superior manner and noble, so with try to eat with right hand

I have a young cousin, i taught her from a young age that this is good hand and this is bad hand, mentally it is stored in her head, now she only eats with her left to annoy or tease me. But she knows it is the better  to eat with the right.

Parents should put their children in the habit form a young age, if you put utensils in the right hand from the early years the child will make it a habit. By the age of 5 they will be 2 handed.

If you really want to rid the habit, tie your left hand behind your back when eating:P. (only at home of course)
Rok leti hain aap ki nisbat, teer jitne bhi ham pe chalte hain

http://www.almarkaz.org.uk

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:47 PM (#3) User is offline   Fekay 

• Full Eclipse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

I would say to an extent you are born with it, but also something you could learn over time. But islamically, as far as i am aware, everything good is done with the right hand and everything else with the left.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:51 PM (#4) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

I am extremely 'left-sided', very lefty. Even the left side of my body is stronger, my left (flat) breast is bigger than my right side, ditto shoulders. I look strange when writing or playing football 'cos i'm soo lop-sided!

They had to teach me from a young age to eat with my right-hand, this was around the age I used to wonder if 'Jakhni' was a new 'aandi' after I had it for the first time. Be proud mate, it can be abit awkward with using scissors and other fiddly things which right-handed people don't realise can be abit of a chore for us. I had to buy an expensive bluetooth set jsut to have the adjustability as i'm even 'left-eared'.

500 years ago, we would have been burnt at the stake, but now - ALhamdullilah
:)
I.Will.Back

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:05 PM (#5) User is offline   Sincere-Muslimah 

• New Moon
  • Pip

salaam

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:07 PM (#6) User is offline   Sincere-Muslimah 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Know the Ledge (24.03.2011)
I am extremely 'left-sided', very lefty. Even the left side of my body is stronger, my left (flat) breast is bigger than my right side, ditto shoulders. I look strange when writing or playing football 'cos i'm soo lop-sided!

They had to teach me from a young age to eat with my right-hand, this was around the age I used to wonder if 'Jakhni' was a new 'aandi' after I had it for the first time. Be proud mate, it can be abit awkward with using scissors and other fiddly things which right-handed people don't realise can be abit of a chore for us. I had to buy an expensive bluetooth set jsut to have the adjustability as i'm even 'left-eared'.

500 years ago, we would have been burnt at the stake, but now - ALhamdullilah
:)

Agree with brother KTL. Nothing wrong with being left-handed, as long as you eat with right hand

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:31 PM (#7) User is offline   Modest-Muslimah 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Lol @ Brother KTL’s post, definitely alhumdullilah.

From the mirror-image writing as a very young girl to now having the ease of changing the gears in my car, being left-handed has definitely been interesting.

My mum did try her utmost best to make sure i eat with my right from an early young age, she would put a sock ( a clean one of course) on my left hand, however being the lefty i am i would refuse and find it hard to adjust. For me it has just become a habit that i am unaware of most times. Just like for all those right-handed people when you’re about to eat the last thing you would probably think of is ‘am i eating correctly using my right hand?’...well same goes for me. However i will be trying my best to eat with my right, even though it is quite difficult.

If eating with the right hand is the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh), then is it considered a sin if one does not do so (due to left-handed reason given)?

'Woman was made from the rib of man. She was not created from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be stepped upon. She was made from his side to be close to him, from beneath his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him'

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:12 PM (#8) User is offline   Fatema-the-resplendent 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • Group: Moderators

I realised in my childhood that it was hard being left handed. The scissors, the fountain pens even the desks in school were made for right handed people. My parents made sure I ate wth my right hand though....Even now I must remind myself to eat with the right every time I eat!!

My cousins used to make me bat right handed as a child to make it easier for them to ball but I used to switch when they were not watching...

...And my mercy embraces all things.

(Surah al araf, Quran)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:32 PM (#9) User is offline   Maria-Qadri 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Walikumsalam.

My elders used to see us..if we arent using left hand while eating....the reason they used to say was left hand is used for istinja purpose, so we shouldnt be eating with it.

I had a similar query 2-3 yrs before on this forum and got to read one intresting thing which a sister posted about the reason of being left handed.

Pasting it below......

Our Body is not fully symmetrical.Generally the right side of the body is slightly heavier than the left side.Our brain also has light and right parts,so the functions of these parts are somewhat different

Left half of brain is Predominant over the right half and in such cases the nerves from the brain cross over at the level of the neck and go to right side of the body.Such people are right handed.

But in those cases where the right half of the brain is predominant over left ,nerves coming out of the brain pass onto the left parts of the body.Such people are Left handed.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:49 PM (#10) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

LOL @ wrong-handed, I used to get the punjabi version of that from my mum. And playing cricket? LOL! I used to ball with my left, round the wicket and confuse everybody. It's not that I was just left-handed, but I would say i'm a left-sided person. I had to learn to put my pants on right-leg first as per sunnah and same with shoes. You ever notice how the pens in the bank are tied on your right-side? the main problem is the pads and writing.
I.Will.Back

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:53 PM (#11) User is offline   Mudassar-Rana 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Modest Muslimah (24.03.2011)
Salaam

Being a left-handed person in this right-hand world is not exactly the easiest thing, however i am proud to be left-handed, makes me different to the rest, however can be annoying when you get those 'comments' from right-handed people such as 'oh so you're wrong-handed?' etc.....

Although i like being left-handed, when it comes to islam how does one go about it? from what i know of islamically it is fine to be left-handed as you are just born like that, however i know when it comes to eating one should eat with their right-hand. Now for those lefties out there who are so fixated on being a lefty and just cannot eat with their right or just are not in the habit of eating with their right, how does one come about it? would islam excuse people who are strongly left-handed or is it a sunnah for the whole ummah?

I would like to hear your views on that.

Jazakallah

There is nothing wrong with it. And its even better if your ambidextrous! :cool:
my brothers are those who will believe in me, without having seen me.” [Ahmad, Musnad]

Jaag Muslmaan Jaag Muslmaan ... kitna naacho gai ghairon ki dhun par?Jis ummat mein rab ne sher paida kiye aaj wohi gheedar ka libaas apna muqaddar samjh bethi

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:53 PM (#12) User is offline   The-Mughal-Sister 

• Full Moon
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators

Lefties your all evil and will be doomed to hell!!

Sorry about that line above, that is what I was led to believe in my naive years and when I saw lefties, i.e my brother, I thought, 'he’s a lefty ‘cos he’s a shaitan’. I felt utterly sorry for him. Even my cousin who told me about the years of abuse he got at the Masjid because the Teacher was forcing him to use his right hand for writing, and he got a few beatings out of being a lefty, but soon his parents set the teacher straight, and he did stress that he eats with right hand but can't help writing with his left hand.

I think you lefties have it hard, with the prejudice from uneducated Muslims amongst other things, why don't you join us Righties? It's comfortable on this side of the fence! ;)
“Your knowledge must improve your heart, and purge your ego.”

Imam Ghazzali RA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:34 AM (#13) User is offline   Modest-Muslimah 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Know the Ledge (24.03.2011)
LOL @ wrong-handed, I used to get the punjabi version of that from my mum. And playing cricket? LOL! I used to ball with my left, round the wicket and confuse everybody. It's not that I was just left-handed, but I would say i'm a left-sided person. I had to learn to put my pants on right-leg first as per sunnah and same with shoes. You ever notice how the pens in the bank are tied on your right-side? the main problem is the pads and writing.

omg do not get me started on those pens at the bank...it is soo annoying! i'm almost battling with the stupid pen and it's 'little metal rope' just to fill in a form...such a mission just to do that. Don't know what selfish right-handed person came up with that idea.....

The Mughal Sister (24.03.2011)

Sorry about that line above, that is what I was led to believe in my naive years and when I saw lefties, i.e my brother, I thought, 'he’s a lefty ‘cos he’s a shaitan’. I felt utterly sorry for him. Even my cousin who told me about the years of abuse he got at the Masjid because the Teacher was forcing him to use his right hand for writing, and he got a few beatings out of being a lefty, but soon his parents set the teacher straight, and he did stress that he eats with right hand but can't help writing with his left hand.

I think you lefties have it hard, with the prejudice from uneducated Muslims amongst other things, why don't you join us Righties? It's comfortable on this side of the fence! ;)

You're right sister, unfortunately being left-handed in this day and age is still seen as a bad and evil thing amongst many backward people. Some centuries ago people would think any woman that was left-handed was a witch of some sort and all left-handed people were believed to be followers of the devil....astaghfirullah.....quite funny when you think about it though.....

I'm sure it's comfortable on that side of the fence.....but sister we have many advantages too....when playing cricket or rounders it's a piece of cake to hit the ball from a right-handed bowler (for those who know how to bat that is), and it's just funny to see everyone fielding shift all the way to your right!....but the best part is we even get a special day for us, lol.....I just found out recently that 13th August is Left-handers Day! :)

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:46 AM (#14) User is offline   funkychick987 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

I'm a left hand aswell. I taught myself to eat with my right hand so can use a spoon with right hand. Not master the knife and fork though so still using the left hand for that as yet! :D

The company of a good friend is like an owner of musk if you don’t buy anything, you will get the smell of it.
The company of a bad friend is like the blacksmith’s bellows if you are not affected by its black dirt, you will be touched by its smoke.

–Prophet Muhammed (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam)

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:10 AM (#15) User is offline   Mudassar-Rana 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

The Mughal Sister (24.03.2011)

Its sad how the leaders of men, the best ummah sent to mankind, became embroiled in sending half its people to hell just because they wrote with their left hand! Id love to know how we arrived at this juncture.
my brothers are those who will believe in me, without having seen me.” [Ahmad, Musnad]

Jaag Muslmaan Jaag Muslmaan ... kitna naacho gai ghairon ki dhun par?Jis ummat mein rab ne sher paida kiye aaj wohi gheedar ka libaas apna muqaddar samjh bethi

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:06 PM (#16) User is offline   raza89 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

This reminds me of a tale I heard from my cousin. A cousin of mine when he was around 3-4 years old would write with his left and eat, pretty much do everything with his left. My grandmother tied his arm with his leg and said eat with it now. He was forced to use his right hand and eventually stopped using his left hand regarding eating and writing.

Old paki traditions from the 70s were useful I guess.
ALLAHU RABBU MOHAMMADIN SALLA ALEHI WA SALLAMA
NAHNU IBAADO MOHAMMADIN SALLA ALEHI WA SALLAMA

Ghaus-E-Azam mera Da'Ta

Ya Allah(Azwajalla)
Ya Nabi(Salla Hu Alahi Wa Salaam)
Ya Ali(R.A.)
Ya Ghaus-E-Azam(R.A.)

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:19 AM (#17) User is offline   Keefy 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

the only thing about being left handed that annoyed me was the fact that i'd smudge everything when writing, even in my exams.

I was forced to write urdu with my right hand in mosque, it wass easy (whereas writing english with my right, is pretty impossible)...unfortunately it meant i was smudging again.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:43 PM (#18) User is offline   badman 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salams,

Some of the smartest people to come from the west were left handed! According to research left handed people tend to be more intelligent........ hmmmm.... now I know why am not clever, LolZ! (Thankyou very much :blink:) LolZ

http://www.his.com/~...eft.handed.html

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:47 AM (#19) User is offline   Abu-Feizah 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salaams

I am very happy to see all the lefties "coming out" so to speak.

I too am a proud lefty.

I got so fed up with stationary that I went out and got left handed stuff and now make all my staff use left handed implements in the pharmacy....hehhe.....that will teach all those smug righties.....

World domination here we come....

Haq Maula Ali!

Shaah ast hussain badshaah ast hussain, deen ast hussain deen panah ast hussain
Sar daad na daad dast dar dast-e-yazeed
haqqa ke bina la illah ast hussain!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:34 AM (#20) User is offline   Scotty 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

I'm left handed too!

I bought special pens designed for comfort for left handers. I've always been commended for my neatness in writing, for some reason even my rough writing is considered neat and tidy. I've never understood that.

No one should be forced to use anything other than their natural hand. That's abuse.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services