Spirit Of Islam: Quran: "...take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends..." - Analysis - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quran: "...take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends..." - Analysis

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:43 PM (#1) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon
  • Group: Moderators

Salaam O Alaikum

I wrote an article recently with regards to an Ayah in Surah 5 of the Qur’an, of which the ignorant and coverers of the truth claim that the Qur’an strictly prohibits friendly ties between Jews and Christians.

Unfortunately, many Muslims have themselves succumb to such propaganda and are confused as a result:

(you will see a great miracle of the Quran)

O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies: they are but allies of one another and whoever of you allies himself with them becomes, verily, one of them; behold, God does not guide people who are unjust. (Quran 5:51)

There are several renderings for this verse, some interpret the part “your allies” as “friends and protectors”:

“O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.”

In reality, both renderings are problematic as they fail to translate correctly the message of the Qur’an as revealed in Arabic. When analysing the Qur’an, we do not just take one verse about a subject in order to derive from it understanding. We must analyse the message in its entirety.

So, is Surah 5 of the Qur’an referring to all Jews and all Christians? Is it referring to these Jews and Christians too?:

Of the people of Moses there is a section who guide and do justice in the light of truth. (Quran 7:159)

Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians - all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. (Quran 2:62)

Not all of them are alike: Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of God all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration. They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous. (Quran 3:113-114)

And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book, those who believe in God, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to God. They will not sell the Signs of God for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and God is swift in account. (Quran 3:199)

These 4 sections from the Qur’an (2:62, 3:113-114, 3:199, 7:159) all speak of Jews, Christians and indeed people of other faiths in a very good light. Add to that the fact that a Muslim man can marry a Jewish lady, or a Christian Lady.

To interpret therefore, surah 5:51 of the Qur’an, to mean that we as Muslims cannot befriend all Jews and all Christians, in the light of the evidences presented, is incorrect. The ayah, when analysed in Arabic, tells us that there is a specific category of Jews and Christians with whom friendly ties and alliances, is strictly forbidden – and this is where a great miracle of the Qur’an is prevalent.

When analysed in Arabic, ayah 5:51 of the Quran qualifies and outlines the category from amongst the Jews and Christians with whom it has been made Haraam for Muslims to form alliances – and they are “such Jews and Such Christians who are allies of one another”.

Throughout history, the Jews and the Christians have been at loggerheads, especially during the era of Qur’anic revelation. The Jews accused Hazrat Mary of being unchaste (nauzabullah) and the Christians accused the Jews of killing Jesus (upon him be peace) himself.

The hatred between the Jews and the Christians was so prevalent, that upon the Christian conquest of Muslim Spain, the Christians issued a decree (Alhambra decree) demanding the expulsion of Jews from Christian territories.

For the Qur’an therefore, to predict a time where the Jews and Christians would form alliances is truly remarkable. The Christian-Zionist and Jewish-Zionist movements are a recent phenomena, and we as Muslims are forbidden to form alliances with such Jews and Such Christians.

The Qur’an sums it up in the following verse:

God only forbids you to turn in friendship towards such as fight against you because of [your] faith, and drive you forth from your homelands, or aid [others] in driving you forth: and as for those [from among you] who turn towards them in friendship; it is they, they who are truly wrongdoers! (Quran 60:9)

We as Muslims can never be friends with, for example, Israel. we are one ummah. However, we can befriend those who do not oppress the Muslims:

As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably. (Quran 60:8)

Shaykh Imran Hosein, who now lives in Trinidad, addresses this ayah in the following lecture:

The Gold Dinar - Islam and Future of Money

Watch from 3 minutes onwards (the lecture is about money – I highly recommend it)

Have a nice day

I pray that you all benefited from this article – all the Good in it is from Allah, and all the Mistakes are mine only.

Feel free to PM me if you have any health issues / ailments.

Confidentiality will be maintained.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:50 PM (#2) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:43 PM (#3) User is online   YaNabi-Chemist 

• Full Moon

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I will go through them all later when I am free.

I must confess, I was particularly touched today watching Press TV - there was a panel debate going on with regards to the rise of Anti-Semitism.

The audience was full of Jews; Orthodox, secular looking etc most of whom were wearing badges with Palestinian flags on them :w00t:

There was even an Israeli citizen who publically announced that she was ashamed of being Israeli, and acknowledged that the place of her birth was once a Palestinian village that was ethnically cleansed.

There are in fact several Jewish organisations who fully support the Palestinian cause, and there is no doubt in my mind that these are the Jews that our creator reassures in the Qur'an with no grievances nor fear in the akhirah.

Jews for Justice for Palestinians

Unfortunately, many Muslims paint all Jews with the same brush and remain ignorant of the truth - We as Muslims should build ties and friendly relations with such Jews.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:49 PM (#4) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Faraz Hassan (27.09.2009)
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I will go through them all later when I am free.

You got the wrong title mate: Owais Qadiri visits Palestine
Literalists will always stress the importance of the verse they see close to their personal stand. Juxtaposing all the evidence provides a greater understanding and ultimately a more accurate conviction.

PS! Ya need to brush up the format a bit......

Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:54 AM (#5) User is offline   samzus 

• First Quarter

Salaam Brother,

Must say, good effort!!
I heard similar thing from a scholar , who was explaining that what kind of friendship is forbidden.
First of all those people(disbelievers) should be bycotted or must be avoided, who are against Islam and trying hard to harm the True Religion 'Islam'.

It's human nature that when they consider someone their friend, they will share their secrets etc. and spend time together and trust them. And it's quite possible that they might end up liking their habits which are against Islam and they might adopt them and find no problem with them...which can take them away from Islam.

So to protect Iman , one should avoid such deep friendship. Otherwise just maintaining a good relation as a human being is not forbidden.
Allah Ta'ala and His Messenger (Sallallaho 'Alaihi Wa Aalihi Wasallam) Know Best.

And good point about the permission for Muslim men to marry Ahle-kitaab Women.

Bless you brother.
All i can say is....'Naiki kar darya main 'dal '.
p.s it always takes me days to think and respond and when i respond ,the topic is mostly not discussed anymore.:)
Chal Bulleya Chal Othay Chaliye ..Jithay Saray Annay
Na Koi Saadi Zaat Pachane ..Na Koi Sanu Mannay

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:45 AM (#6) User is offline   humble-servant-brother 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Peace and blessings to all,

Good post!

It is unfortunate that such divisive sects of our pure religions exist. Secularism is not of Almighty, but of foolish pride, which is of satan.

Rejoice though, for we shall soon be joined together in the hereafter! Amen Amen Amen

PS whether i am wanted as a friend or not, I will be!:rolleyes:
We pledge alliegiance to Elohim, and to Christ our Lord and King, and to His true mercy at which we live, humble servants under God, with faith,hope, and love for all!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services