Spirit Of Islam: Exploring the thesis about Naats begetting love - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Shaykh Sayyid Zahid Husain Rizwi has replied to our questions:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exploring the thesis about Naats begetting love

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:34 AM (#1) User is offline   Tahir-Riaz 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Without getting too hypothetical and coming straight to the point. I don't think Naats have the ability to beget any form of love. A musical inoculation combined with poetry can't  make you love anyone unless the incantation can be targeted towards a preexisting entity within your heart. Thus, Naats manifest love they don't beget it.

Let's hear it, what are your views regarding this?

Tahir

Administrator
YaNabi Team
-Only A Good Human Being Can Become A Good Muslim

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:40 AM (#2) User is offline   Brother_UK 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

I think the answer is in your question, as the true Ummah it should be something that is already in our hearts, maybe a little flame, and certain things for example a certain lecture, a certain naat, a certain line of poetry can ignite that flame and make that love in our hearts explode, this is what we seek I guess..
Kayya nu rooz honday nay Deedar Aap key.. Koi koi tarrapde rehnde nay Deedar vaastey

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:18 AM (#3) User is offline   Al-Aqsa 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)
Without getting too hypothetical and coming straight to the point. I don't think Naats have the ability to beget any form of love. A musical inoculation combined with poetry can't make you love anyone unless the incantation can be targeted towards a preexisting entity within your heart. Thus, Naats manifest love they don't beget it.

Tahir

Naats can play a role in strengthening ones faith.

Have a listen to this beautiful naat,

"We are Travellers of this world and our destination is the grave!"

Naats like these can transform a person and if listened to and understood properly of what is being said it can certainly draw a person closer to Allah SWT
Signature reset by YaNabi Team. Keep it nice and SHORT.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:01 AM (#4) User is offline   TayJay 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Assalamualaikum!

An Ummati, no matter how much of a sinner has perhaps even as little a drop of blood in his heart denoting the love of Islam, Allah and the Prophet (S.A.W).

It is that one drop that perhaps makes him pray once in a blue moon, give charity to the poor and needy, even if it is a cent, or make him act kindly towards others. And, even if he does simply NOTHING of the sort, one day he surely realizes his wrong-doings and repent. One might argue that it is not always possible that he will necessarily become a true and Sufi-style Muslim, and I heartily agree with him. However, as I mentioned earlier on, he will most definitely have some good trait, and that is because of the connection of that one drop of blood in his venas that links him with the Lord of Madinah (S.A.W).

Na'ats, or any form of such, like a lecture, a heartfelt Du'a or a touching recitation of the Qur'an can do wonders. It can make the body literally discharge all of the blood in his body and make him survive on that drop I've been ranting on since the start of this post, which is the one that splashes about, chanting "Ya Rasool Allah (S.A.W)".

Let me tell you MY life story, that is, if you believe me and bother to read on lol :P

I started listening to Na'ats through Al-Haaj Owais Qadri. It was the month of Muharram, so 24/7 his Na'ats were playing in markets, on televisions and radios. In fact I can clearly remember the first Na'ats I heard of him. They were "Aaye Aaqa Madani Aaqa", "La Ilaha Illallah" and "An Nabi Sallu Alaih". I started to hum those Na'ats while doing anything, whether it be surfing online, doing homework or even sitting idly with my mouth open [I was barely 9, I think]. One day I came online and downloaded them all, and now our house echoed with the terrific voice of Al-Haaj Owais Qadri.

Listening to them, I started to realize that the blessed name that pulsed through my head all day now, was I worthy of calling that name [of the Prophet (S.A.W)]? So, pondering on this, I made Wudu and started to read my prayers regularly five times a day. I started respecting my parents and all other things related with being a good human, and in turn, a good Muslim :D

Hope you get the point,
and think with a cool mind,
Fi Amanillah!

Kuch Naik Kaam Kar Ja, Duniya Main Naam Kar Ja
Marnay Kay Baad Ka Yunh, Kuch Intizam Kar Ja

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:19 PM (#5) User is offline   zamirafzal 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Assalamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

ASALATU WASALAMU ALAYKA YA RASULLALLAH Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa Sallam

i think naats have made a great impact on our young genaration.If you you give them a naat with no background zikr in it they wont pay much attention to it,on the other hand if you give'm naats with duff or zikr in the background they will listen to them  & at the same time understand them.The main thing the naat khawans should not DO is over do it,thats where things can go other way round ;) fi amahnillah

Fear Allah wherever you are in all times and in all places.
Stand up for Islam no matter who likes it or dislikes it.
Dedicate yourself in changing this world. Go against the grain.
The world needs you.You are the best Community raised up for mankind

nooreislam.tk

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:46 PM (#6) User is offline   islamicsound 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salaams

Initially when i started to listen to Naats/ Qawallis etc. i did not understand the words however as i have become older i have made the effort to learn Urdu so therefore now i understand it.

however brother Zamir i think if someone wants to listen to a naat they will do so whether it has zikr/ daff or not. Like for example my First ever cassette was a naat cassette by Alhaj Mushtaq Attari (RA)., it was with no zikr and no daff or anything. However the words were beautiful.

Brother now i listen to Qawalli and naats etc. some qawallis have so much power in them in particular qawallis by Qari Saeed Chishti (RA). However i also love listening to naats as well. And also lectures. However i would listen to a lecture in particular if i needed info on a particular topic and sometimes for just knowledge!!!

Aur Ye Sunaa Hai Ke Qabar Bohot Andheri Ho Gi
Qabar Ka Khauf Na Rakhna Eh Dil, Wahan Sarkaar-E-Madina Ke Chehre Ki Ziyarat Ho Gi

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:07 PM (#7) User is offline   Sister-AashiqueRasool 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

AsSalaamu Alaikum,

I will never be able to express the amount of love Naatein have taught me. *Gulp* I used to be a total 24/7 music freak but since I heard Owais Qadri Alhamdulillah I have realised the true meaning of life. 'Jo na ho Ishq E Mustafa (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) Tou zindagi fazool hai.' Beshaq! The first Naat I heard of his was by pure coincidence; I was on the phone to my mum who had gone to Pakistan for holidays and I could hear words to the beautiful Naat shareef "Pukaaro Ya RasoolAllah" in the background. I asked what it was n my mum said it was something playing on QTV. This was the first time in my whole life I had ever showed an interest for a Naat. I remember searching google for QTV and then found Owais Qadri written everywhere. After that I bought the album 'Aaqa Ka Milaad Aaya' n various other CDs which I didn't stop listening to. (So addictive!!)

Owais Qadri then came to Sheffield a few months later on Wednesday 13th July 2007 6pm-late and recited Naats after a speech by Saqib Shami sahib. Alhamdulillah, it was one of the best experiences ever! Since then, i promised myself to pray all 5 Salaah daily on time, no music AT ALL to recite the Qur'an more n try becoming a better person. I can wholeheartedly say I have not once intentionally listened to any bolly/lolly/hollywood filth since that mehfil. I learnt loads of things from him, the way he'd describe Madinah Shareef n the beautiful atmosphere was simply awesome. It was raining outside n he goes, "There is a big difference between the rain outside here n the rain which kisses the Blessed Gumbad e Khizra in Madinah. That rain is full of mercy n blessings." And then recited the shair, "Barasti Gumbad E Khizra Se Takraati Hui Boondey..." The way he read from the core of his heart, made me yearn to want to see that Madinah Shareef! :(

Since then, I've listened to almost every Naat of his n seen the meaning behind the magical words. It got to a point where my parents even got sick of him being played all the time n believed i had issues but I think they're over that now. :)  I deeply admire the work he is doing for the Ummah n also believe he is a true inspiration who has taught many blackened hearts (Including me) to love. Through Owais bhai I began listening to Haji Mushtaq Attari (Rehmatullah Alayh) n Ameer E Ahle Sunnat (Damat barkatuhum alya)'s Naatein. They made the best team ever n always will. Their voices trembling with love for RasoolAllah SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam n eyes full of tears. I can continue this post forever to try convey how much Owais Bhai and the amazing words in Naatein mean to me however u still probably wouldn't quite understand...Hmm i think this would make a great start to my autobiography :D Owais Qadri zindaaabaaadd! A true legend! :) :) :) (I'm sorry if the post isn't quite on topic but oh well)...

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:26 AM (#8) User is offline   sunniforlife 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Hazrat Amir Khusro once said, “Music is the fire that burns the heart and the soul”.

I'm quite sure the music he is talking about is Naat Sharif, maybe even Qawwalis. Regardless of this, I, for one, believe that Naat Sharif can plant love into a heart that has none in it to begin with - this is because in Naat Sharif, Rasulallah (s.a.w)'s praise, his blessed qualities, his blessed way of life are worded and recited in such a way and with such passion by the Naat Khwaan that it immediately creates an interest in a person's mind.

The more they listen, the more they feel as if they can relate. The more they relate, the more they realise that they belong to the one who Naats are recited for.. Subhanallah!

Talking from experience, Naat Sharif has helped through so many difficult times and helped me through my darkest hours. There were times when I was so hurt and angry, I didn't wanna listen to anyone or any advice.. but Naat Sharif was like a loving mother talking to her child. It was soft and sweet, and always reminded me that even though I'm a sinner, I will always be Rasulallah (s.a.w)'s ghulaam. It guided me, and always encouraged me to ask for forgiveness and do Tawba.
And it is Naat Sharif that has ALWAYS lifted me out of the darkness, time and time again.

Without blessed Naat Sharif, I don't know if I'd even realise who our Beloved Aaqa is.. How scary!!
Who would tell me of his beauty, his grace, his mercy if Naats were not around.. who would educate me about the Greatness of our Beloved Nabi if Imam Ala Hazrat's words weren't recited like they are today (in Naat form)?

Long post.. Hope i haven't gone off topic!
Just felt the need to say how much Naat Sharif has influenced my life..

Allahumma salli 'alaa Sayyidina Muhammadiw wa 'alaa aalihi biqadri husnihi wa jamaalihi.

O Allah send peace and blessings upon our master Muhammad and upon his family, his beauty and grace.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:26 PM (#9) User is offline   Sister-AashiqueRasool 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Owais Qadri answers, "Naat E Nabi Tum Sunaao, Ishq E Nabi Ko Baraao" :)

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:27 PM (#10) User is offline   Nafs-Zakiyah 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

zamirafzal (06.03.2009)

i think naats have made a great impact on our young genaration.If you you give them a naat with no background zikr in it they wont pay much attention to it,on the other hand if you give'm naats with duff or zikr in the background they will listen to them  & at the same time understand them.

Assalamu Alaykum,

While I do believe it might make an impact on some, you have highlighted one of the problems in your post. People don't pay attention unless there is no background dhikr or daff, because without the beat/rhythm it's no longer music-like enough. I am not saying that this applies to everyone, but for far too many it seems.

I remember a musician who once said that we want you to fall in love with the God behind the music, and the Prophet behind the music. Because if all we do is fall in love with that which is contained in the lyrics of music, is this really Allah, is this really Sayyiduna Rasulallah (sallallahu alayhi wasallama)?

Because there is a difference between falling in love with the Noor of the song and the Noor outside the musical sphere. It's one thing to fall in love with "cool" phrases about Sayyiduna Rasulallah (sallallahu alayhi wa alih) being Noor or Rahmatul lil Alamin, and understanding the Guidance of this Noor and the Rahma.

This post was not directed at you or anyone in specific.

wassalam

Ya Ahmad al-Rifa'i

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:31 PM (#11) User is offline   Nafs-Zakiyah 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

So what I mean to say is, it only matters when we actually take our love for Allah and His Rasul outside of the headphones and into the world of action. We need to study al-Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wa alihi wassalam) so that we can truly follow his mubarak footsteps, insha'Allah.
Ya Ahmad al-Rifa'i

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:34 AM (#12) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Owais Raza Qadri has now been demoted to a pawn who simply comes in for entertainment programs when the Choudary's of the town are opening up their new business ventures, the choudary's themselves being sat in prison for fraudulent activities ofcourse.

You know the drill, choudary family opens up new business, people are invited, Owais provides some entertainment, food is served and publicity for the new venture is the theme of the night. The la-barkati of these events can be measured from the complaints afterwards that Owais's show was spoiled because there was no echo in the speakers, yes, the disco style effects weren't working.

Wah wah Owais, the entertainment was way down the itinerary of the night as businesses need promoting and interests need stregntining. Oh and next time, make sure that the echo effects are working, the entertainment just isn't the same without it.

(Before disparaging me for this post, prove me wrong, I stand by all that has been written.)

I.Will.Back

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:14 PM (#13) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

By the way, no where in my post have I even suggested that Owais raza Qadri was complicit in this chicanery. I've been lucid in clarifying that Owais was a 'pawn', connoting that he was simply used and his actions weren't deliberated nor were his intentions malevolent or muddy in any way concerning this publicity event.

My comments are a commentary on the situation that is transpiring with the irreverent way that praise of the Prophet is being treated and the duplicity of these pseudo-righteouss fleas of society and the way they are treating the naat khawans.

I.Will.Back

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:32 PM (#14) User is offline   Desert-Sheikh 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)
Without getting too hypothetical and coming straight to the point. I don't think Naats have the ability to beget any form of love. A musical inoculation combined with poetry can't make you love anyone unless the incantation can be targeted towards a preexisting entity within your heart. Thus, Naats manifest love they don't beget it.

Tahir

I agree with you but not only musical Naats, traditional Naats also do not have this ability.

In my opinion, a Naat or a lecture or a visit to one’s Sheikh or even a trip to Makkah or Madina does/can not beget Love. It can manifest one’s affections towards anyone or anything but Naat is not an exception, a picture, a couplet, a dialogue, a song and a nice musical composition will also do the same.

Administrator
YaNabi Team

-What is it to make you wonder, if I roam the desert waste?
Not all those who wander are lost!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:47 PM (#15) User is offline   seeker 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)

Tahir

The same could then be said about Qasidah Burdah of Imam Busayri (ra), couldn't it?

But I don't think anybody would say that the burdah doesn't beget love.

If you think of it in terms of this, then apply that to ALL poems in praise of the Master of Creation (peace and blessings upon him), I think it would be a fairer assessment.

Coming to the music / beat of the songs... I personally don't like to hear more than a drum, or I fear - as people have stated earlier - that they will fall in love with the music, not the one it's about. However a duff often makes it more memorable, and makes it a better alternative to other forms of music at the very least.
PLEASE pray for me - just say Ameen!
OH ALLAH, GUIDE US

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:16 AM (#16) User is offline   WazeerAhmed-Chisti 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Assalaamu Alaikum

Muhammad Ke Gulaamon Ka Kafan Maila Nahi Hota

Nabi ki Naat Sun Le tu Chaman Maila Nahi Hota

Indeed music is the food for the soul. The music mentioned is Hamd, Naat & Manqabats.

Naats were rendered in the time & in front of Aap Salalahu Alai Wasalam. The poets who read them out of pure Love. They had great Love for Him Salalahu Alai Wasalam and those who listened carefully obtained and start developing Love.

Allah has mentioned, Follow Me & Follow My Rasul, for I love those who Follow My Rasul. Like wise, If you Love Allah, you got to Love Rasul Salalahu Alai Wasalam, For if you Love Rasul Salalahu Alai Wasalam, Allah will Love you.

Those are the conditions and they are non-negotiable...

Khuda Hafiz

Lutfi Ambiyah Karame Auliyah Ba Fadleh Panchatan,
Ya Ali Madad

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:45 PM (#17) User is offline   Sister-AashiqueRasool 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Owais Raza Qadri is that personality which has enlightened the hearts of many Muslims with the Love of the Beloved Prophet (salAllahu Ta'ala Alayhi wa Aalihi wa Sallam). For once, look at all the good he has done. Yes, we all have our difference in opinion but I sensed so much hate in that comment...Remember "A good word is better than silence and silence is better than evil talks." Whether he has an echo or not, what difference does it make to you? He's only a "pawn" for you anyway. I actually pity you when you say it's entertainment, May Allah Almighty help you. Oh and please, just out of respect don't just put "Owais", refer to him as Owais bhai if anything. :doze:

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:21 AM (#18) User is offline   Know-the-Ledge 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

seeker (02.06.2009)

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)

Tahir

The same could then be said about Qasidah Burdah of Imam Busayri (ra), couldn't it?

But I don't think anybody would say that the burdah doesn't beget love.

If you think of it in terms of this, then apply that to ALL poems in praise of the Master of Creation (peace and blessings upon him), I think it would be a fairer assessment.

Coming to the music / beat of the songs... I personally don't like to hear more than a drum, or I fear - as people have stated earlier - that they will fall in love with the music, not the one it's about. However a duff often makes it more memorable, and makes it a better alternative to other forms of music at the very least.

Listening to the Burdah doesn't beget love in a wahabi, as he would just shout shirk!  the burdah can only stir a pre-existing love and bring it to the surface, never instill that condition into somebody. Only knowledge of who He (PBUH) was can instill the reverance in you!

I.Will.Back

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:05 AM (#19) User is offline   Asfoor-ul-Madina 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)
Without getting too hypothetical and coming straight to the point. I don't think Naats have the ability to beget any form of love. A musical inoculation combined with poetry can't  make you love anyone unless the incantation can be targeted towards a preexisting entity within your heart. Thus, Naats manifest love they don't beget it.

Tahir

if you are questioning it in respect to the melody/tune of the naat, then why did Rumi (rehimahullah) find love in the cry of the flute?

if you are questioning it in respect to the words/poetry, then why would the Sahaba (radhi Allahu anhum), the Ahl Al-Bayt and many great Awliya like Imam Busiri (alaihi rehmah) write in His (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) praise?

love pre-exists within a human because that is what a human is created from and that is what a human always turns to when in need of help. we have pre-existing emotions, we don't learn how to express happiness or sadness because it is within us, it is innate. in the same way love is innate. 

Love requires recognition. a lover cannot express love toward an unknown beloved. the quality and praise of the beloved must be known to the lover to beget the love. poetry/naat is a means of recognising our darling Prophet and our Allah, and when our heart recognises them it expresses love.

so my conclusion is: a 'musical inoculation combined with poetry' can make you love

forgive me for any mistakes, wasalaam

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:47 AM (#20) User is offline   Roaming-Soul 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Tahir Riaz (06.03.2009)

Tahir

My views do not oppose your thought, because the ''pre-existing entity'' has place in each and every heart of true muslim, that detemines our imaan. Hence, Na'at sharif nourishes ones imaan.

Remember me in your duas,
dua ka talib.

Case of One Lost Soul

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services