Spirit Of Islam: Are Muslim women allowed to go to a graveyard - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Shaykh Sayyid Zahid Husain Rizwi has replied to our questions:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are Muslim women allowed to go to a graveyard

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:58 AM (#1) User is offline   Roop 

• New Moon
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Aslamo Alaikum,

My question is that are Muslim women allowed to go to the graveyard. I've heard that they are not due to the reason that the dead see them naked. Is that a valid reason? If women are, or arent allowed to go, can someone please answer the question with some Quranic or Hadith refrence. Thanks.
Waslamo Alaikum.
Life is the one and only chance you get to attain your Eternal Salvation.
God Bless all Muslims.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:23 AM (#2) User is offline   SHABAN 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Assalamu alaikum dear sister.

it is that women "were" allowed to go at the time when the full parda and a women observing the veil..i.e..Bibi Aisha r.a was known to go to the graveyard to pray,alongside our beloved messengerbut you have to realise the pious women of that time and the way they dressed and observed their respect and honours...because as they say "times have changed" really it is attitudes and false beleifs that have influenced us to take awy that respect
from our lives when now women go to the graveyards they are practically not
accordance to the proper rulings and law..and yes the dead can see that state of women as naked...it is a sin to go into a graveyard without the proper islamic parda...so it is not the fault of the ulama that have in some cases put a stop to women entering graveyards...and this is the same that applies to a women going into mosques too...we see many women even applying perfume and makeup that is total disrespect to a place that should be just for remembrance and to prepare for our own time to come...we need to always be in full observing parda and in wudu,i do not think anyone would have a problem to that...it is the same as a women going outside she cannot really allow her beauty to be displayed to men outside as parda is a right of women...it should be practiced with great joy and to know we are in a special position as women
to be known for our strenghs an not our looks..."that is the beauty and position of a muslim women"...it is an honour not to be missed....

take care sister....

wasalam
BISMILLAH IRAMA NIRAHIM...KORAN AND SUNAH.........LAH ILA HA ILLAL LAHU MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH.....NAMAZ,ROZA,ZAKAT,HAJJ.....LETS ALL UNITE MANKIND,AS ONE BODY OF MUSLIM...PEACE....AMEEN.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:33 PM (#3) User is offline   servant_of_Allah 

• New Moon
  • Pip

true say sister rubina but can i just add dat some women go an morn..(when i mean morn, i mean morn...e.g. make loads of noises and cry aloud .astagfirullah!) and as women we are not allowed to do that. Rasoolullah (SAW) has mentioned, "visit the graves, for surely the graves lessens wordly love and reminds you of the hereafter".

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:19 PM (#4) User is offline   Roop 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Thank you sisters. I appreciate your help.
God Bless all Muslims.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:39 PM (#5) User is offline   Shaff 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Asalatu Wasalamu Alyka Ya sayadi Ya Rasoollullah, Wa Ala Alyhi Wa Barik Wasalim.

Asalaamu Alai Kum, Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu;

Here is a search of hadiths on the topic; Please also see below answer as to if women can visit the graves of awliya or visit the link below. Pray that sufficiently answers the question.

Wa 'Asalaamu Alai Kum, Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu.

-------------

Your search on: visiting graves gave 9 hits!
Time: 0
Searched: 23955
 Seach All Books
 Bukhari and Muslim  Nawawi  Sahih Bukhari
 Sahih Muslim  Sunan Abu-Dawud (partial)  Malik's Muwatta
 Shamaa-il Tirmidhi  Forty Hadith Qudsi
1 - 9 of 9 Hadiths    1
Hadith #583, Category: Uncategorised

"I had forbidden you to visit the graves; but now you may visit them.He who wishes may visit graves because they remind us of the Everlasting Life."

Nawawi
  • Uncategorised
  • Classification Unclassified
     HadithInf
    Muslim with a chain up to Buraidah (s) who related that the Prophet (sa) said this.

Book 20, Number 3230:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) cursed women who visit graves, those who built mosques over them and erected lamps (there).

Sunan Abu-Dawud (partial)
  • Funerals (Kitab Al-Jana'iz)
  • Classification Undefined

Book 26, Number 3689:

Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: I forbade you three things, and now I command (permit) you for them. I forbade you to visit graves, now you may visit them, for in visiting them there is admonition. I forbade you drinks except from skin vessels, but now you may drink from any kind of vessels, but do not drink an intoxicant. I forbade you to eat the meat of sacrificial animals after three days, but now you may eat and enjoy it during your journeys.

Sunan Abu-Dawud (partial)
  • Drinks (Kitab Al-Ashribah)

Book 004, Number 2131:

Ibn Buraida reported on the authority of his father that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I forbade you to visit graves, but you may now visit them; I forbade you to eat the flesh of sacrificial animals after three days, but you way now keep it as along as you feel inclined; and I forbade you nabidh except in a water-skin, you may drink it from all kinds of water-skins, but you must not drink anything intoxicating.

Sahih Muslim
  • The Book of Prayers (Kitab Al-Salat)
  • Chapter 204: THE APOSTLE OF ALLAH (MAY PEACE BE UPON HIM) SEEKING PERMISSION FROM THE LORD, THE EXALTED AND HIGH, FOR VISITING THE GRAVE OF HIS MOTHER

Book 23, Number 23.4.8:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Rabia ibn Abi Abd ar-Rahman that Abu Said alKhudri returned from a journey and his family gave him some meat. He asked whether it was meat from the sacrifice. They replied that it was. Abu Said said, "Didn't the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, forbid that?" They said, "There has been a new command from the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, since you went away." Abu Said went out and made enquiries about it and was told that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had said,"I forbade you before to eat meat of the sacrifice after three days, but now eat, give sadaqa and store up. I forbade you before to make nabidh (by soaking raisins or dates in water), but now make nabidh, but remember every intoxicant is haram .I forbade you to visit graves, but now visit them, and do not use bad language."

Malik's Muwatta
  • Sacrificial Animals
  • Section: Storing Meat from Sacrificial Animals

-------------

http://www.janathimessage.co.uk/Ask_the_imam_page/english_answers/Q201%20-%20Q220.doc

QUESTION                                                 217           TOPIC : Dargah

Assalam-o-Alaikum. I am concerned about this question for a long period of time. I believe to go to Dargah of Allah's beloved men, but I have heard from many sources that it is not good for a woman to go to any Dargah (Darbar) as Allah appoint angels to curse the woman soon she starts her Journey from Home to any Dargah (Darbar) and that curse continues by the Angels until she comes back home. Can you please clarify this for me along with the relevant citations of Quran (where Possible) and Hadith. Wasalaam

ANSWER                                                                                                                              217

Wa Alai Kum Asalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu. Sister we hope this reaches you in good state of health and Imaan inshallah. Your question with the reference refers to a particular Islamic methodology of visiting the graves of the pious people. Ulama have a difference of opinion on the matter, but to the Majority of Ahle Sunnah Wal Jammah; Hanafi school scholars it is permissible for a female to visit Darbars of Awlia Allah alaihi rahmah (with some rules to adhere to). We will explain this below as simply as possible.

We must understand that all the Quran Pak and Hadith Shareef was revealed in events, therefore the reference you refer  to (in your question) was given when there was the fear that people who were new to Islam, may indulge themselves into the habit of worshipping graves after so many years of having the habit of worshipping idols. When Islam was fully established and confirmed (rasikh), then that prohibition became mansukh (abrogated).

Then RasoolAllah (SAW) said "nahayta kum an ziyaratil quburi fa zuruha" interpretation of the meaning "I prohibited you from visiting the graves, NOW VISIT THEM" and furthermore Hazrat-e-Aisha RA visited the Grave of the Prophet (SAW) and did so without veil (Hijab) and she later again visited Roza tun Nabi (SAW) after Hazret Abu Bakr Siddique RA was buried next to RasoolAllah SAW and did so without veil (Hijab) and then she visited again after Hazret Umar-e-Farooque RA was buried next and this time she observed the veil (Hijab). Another Hadith relates that Hazret e Aisha (RA) asked RasoolAllah (SAW) what she (RA) should read when visiting a grave and he (SAW) taught her a dua, and not prohibited her from visiting.

So on the basis of the above evidences a woman can visit Dargah. However there are some guidelines to follow i.e. she is with a Mehram in travel and does not mix with Gher Mehrams at the Dargah (Most Dargahs now provide separate facility). The visiting woman should know the etiquettes of visiting a Dargah of an Awlia Allah RA.

Ya Rab dey hidayat sadqa e Mustafa SAW, Ya Rab kar karam sadqa e dar e Mustafa SAW
    Mujeh tu jo be mila Mustafa SAW key dar sey mila, Kasam Khuda ki woh dar Khuda key karam sey mila.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:01 AM (#6) User is offline   Roop 

• New Moon
    • Pip

Thanks, that was very informative.
    God Bless all Muslims.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
    • You cannot start a new topic
    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
      Or sign in with these services