Spirit Of Islam: Are women allowed to dye their hair? - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Like us on facebook!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are women allowed to dye their hair? Allowed in Islam?

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:38 PM (#1) User is offline   Sunni-Sis 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Asalaam Alaikum Wr Wb,

I was wondering whether muslim women/girls are allowed to dye their hair as long as they wear a Hijab.. dying your hair light brown is that allowed in Islam? If I would be using Loreal/Garnier hair colour shampoo's, where your hair gradually changes colour is this permissible? this would not be doing it for someone else.. only for myself like I mentioned above I wear a Hijab.

JazakhAllah if someone could get back to me

Allahafez

Isit Allah derdimi, bu ahlarimi
(O Allah hear my sorrows and my sighs)

Rahmeyle, bagisla gunahlarimi
(Have mercy and pardon my sins)

Hayreyle hem aksam hem sabahlarimi
(Bless my night and days)

..:: мυѕℓιм ѕιѕтєя ::..

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:32 AM (#2) User is offline   farishta 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Salam Alaikum

Please search the forums before you post a query up. Thanks.

I hope this helps:

http://www.yanabi.co...ord1=hair%20dye

http://www.yanabi.com/forum/me...=y&keyword1=hair%20dye
Humanity has nothing to do with riches,
O Rehman, a statue of gold
Can not be man.

-Rehman Baba

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:07 PM (#3) User is offline   objective-enquirer 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • Group: Moderators

yes women can dye and cut their hair.
Eyesight is useless if the insight is blind

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:52 PM (#4) User is offline   QadriAttari786 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Here are answers with specific references included.

Regarding coloring the hair, it is allowed EXCEPT as noted below.

"According to Prophetic teachings it is not allowed to colour hair black for every Muslim except those who are in battlefield before the enemies of Allah Taala. The reviver of Ummah, A'la Hazrat Imam-e-Ahle Sunnat Maulana Allama Ahmad Raza Khan rahmatullahi alaihi writes in Fatawa-e-Razaviya, "According to correct muslak of ahnaf, it is forbidden to use black color (for dying hair) except in battle. And the trustful and correct ahadith express its prohibition. Imam Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Dauwd, Ibne Maja and Nasai narrat from Jabir bin Abdullah radi Allahu anhuma narrates that the Beloved Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam said, looking at the white beard of Abu Qahaafa, the father of Abu Baker Siddiq radi Allahu anhuma, that change this whiteness with any thing but prevent it from blackness.(black colour whatever it may be)" REFERENCE: Fatawa-e-Razawiyah Vol.10 Part.1.

REGARDING CUTTING HAIR:

According to the teaching of Qur'an and Hadith, it has been strictly forbidden for a women to cut her hair, including hair on the head, eyebrow and eyelids. Hazrat Ibn-e- Abbas (Allah azzawajjal be pleased with him) narrated that the Beloved Holy Prophet (sallalaho alayhi wa aalihi wassalam) cursed those ladies who resemble men and cursed those men who resemble women" (Abu Dawood Sharif)

Sadrush Shariah Hazrat Allama Mufti Maulana Amjad Ali Khan Qadri (Allah Almighty be pleased with Him) writes in the famous and widely accepted book Bahar-e-Shariat:

"It is an unlawful and sinful act for a lady to cut her hair and according to hadith she has been cursed. Although her husband permits her yet she would be sinful because no one could be followed against the order of shariat. She looks like a minion after cutting her hair". (REFERENCE: BAHAR-E-SHARIAT, Vol. 16, page: 125)

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:32 AM (#5) User is offline   devesh 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned

Originally posted by: Qadri Razavi Attari

Here are answers with specific references included.Regarding coloring the hair, it is allowed EXCEPT as noted below."According to Prophetic teachings it is not allowed to colour hair black for every Muslim except those who are in battlefield before the enemies of Allah Taala. The reviver of Ummah, A'la Hazrat Imam-e-Ahle Sunnat Maulana Allama Ahmad Raza Khan rahmatullahi alaihi writes in Fatawa-e-Razaviya, "According to correct muslak of ahnaf, it is forbidden to use black color (for dying hair) except in battle. And the trustful and correct ahadith express its prohibition. Imam Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Dauwd, Ibne Maja and Nasai narrat from Jabir bin Abdullah radi Allahu anhuma narrates that the Beloved Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam said, looking at the white beard of Abu Qahaafa, the father of Abu Baker Siddiq radi Allahu anhuma, that change this whiteness with any thing but prevent it from blackness.(black colour whatever it may be)" REFERENCE: Fatawa-e-Razawiyah Vol.10 Part.1.

Jazakallah for this clarification Sidi. What I have obserevd is many Sunni 'ulama dye their beards black in spite of the fatwa you've mentioned. I've also seen a video of Owais bhai where he's got black dye on. I was wondering what their daleel is for this apart from 'we only follow Ala Hadrat 'alyhi rahma in 'aqeeda but ikhtilaaf is valid in fiqh verdicts'. If so on what basis??

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:10 AM (#6) User is offline   QadriAttari786 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

I cannot speak for anyone else except for myself. Therefore, I cannot give any reason or rationale about why someone practices one way or the other.

However, the only thing I can clarify is that (according to the verdict by A'la Hazrat Imam Ahmad Raza Khan Sahib rahmatullah alai) pure black dye color for beards is not allowed (unless a person meets the criteria for exceptions). However other shades such as dark brown are allowed. Therefore, a common practice that some people may do is that they mix a ratio of black mehndi with red mehndi (henna) and the resultant shade of the colored beard is dark brown. (Using commerical hair dye products is also allowed as long as the dye changes the hair color but does not leave any residual/lasting artificial coating on the hair, because the coating would make it impossible to due wudu properly like finger nail polish on nails).

However, if someone chooses to dye their white hair to a jet black color, I cannot comment on what that person's reasoning is. To keep a beard is waajib, imamat by a man without a beard is not allowed, but if the person does happen to color their white hair into jet black (and he does not meet the exception criteria), it would be disliked but would not invalidate prayer or imamat).

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:44 AM (#7) User is offline   awais396 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Originally posted by: Qadri Razavi Attari

Here are answers with specific references included.Regarding coloring the hair, it is allowed EXCEPT as noted below."According to Prophetic teachings it is not allowed to colour hair black for every Muslim except those who are in battlefield before the enemies of Allah Taala. The reviver of Ummah, A'la Hazrat Imam-e-Ahle Sunnat Maulana Allama Ahmad Raza Khan rahmatullahi alaihi writes in Fatawa-e-Razaviya, "According to correct muslak of ahnaf, it is forbidden to use black color (for dying hair) except in battle. And the trustful and correct ahadith express its prohibition. Imam Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Dauwd, Ibne Maja and Nasai narrat from Jabir bin Abdullah radi Allahu anhuma narrates that the Beloved Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam said, looking at the white beard of Abu Qahaafa, the father of Abu Baker Siddiq radi Allahu anhuma, that change this whiteness with any thing but prevent it from blackness.(black colour whatever it may be)" REFERENCE: Fatawa-e-Razawiyah Vol.10 Part.1.REGARDING CUTTING HAIR:According to the teaching of Qur'an and Hadith, it has been strictly forbidden for a women to cut her hair, including hair on the head, eyebrow and eyelids. Hazrat Ibn-e- Abbas (Allah azzawajjal be pleased with him) narrated that the Beloved Holy Prophet (sallalaho alayhi wa aalihi wassalam) cursed those ladies who resemble men and cursed those men who resemble women" (Abu Dawood Sharif)Sadrush Shariah Hazrat Allama Mufti Maulana Amjad Ali Khan Qadri (Allah Almighty be pleased with Him) writes in the famous and widely accepted book Bahar-e-Shariat:"It is an unlawful and sinful act for a lady to cut her hair and according to hadith she has been cursed. Although her husband permits her yet she would be sinful because no one could be followed against the order of shariat. She looks like a minion after cutting her hair". (REFERENCE: BAHAR-E-SHARIAT, Vol. 16, page: 125)

AsSalamuAlaykum

Does that mean a female cannot cut her hair at all? I mean what if she cuts her hair as long as the haircut does not resemble that of males?

JazakAllah
Fi'amanAllah

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:55 AM (#8) User is offline   QadriAttari786 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Wa alaikumus salaam.

To the best of my knowledge, the ulema-e-ahle sunnah and muftiaan ikraam have written that women are not allowed to cut their head hair at all except on occassions such as after completing hajj or umrah and coming out of the state of ihraam by trimming some locks of hair.

For any other specific questions or details, please visit the "Fikr e Madinah Ahle Sunnah wal Jamaat" room on Paltalk where Mufti Haroon Qadri answers questions daily starting from 9pm Pakistan time.

Also, after Hazrat Allama Mufti Abbas Qadri Razavi finishes his current lecture tour, he will return to UAE and he will answer questions on most days of the week on Paltalk.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:14 AM (#9) User is offline   Mr-Pinky 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Many Hanafi scholars have said that to use pure black dye is not permissible, even for the purpose of adornment and pleasing the spouse.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

"There will be people who will come later (in my Ummah) and apply black dye. They will not even smell the fragrance of paradise" (Sunan Abu Dawud, 2/578).

In another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "Abstain from using black dye" (Sahih Muslim).

However other scholars including the great Hanafi jurist and student of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf (Allah have mercy on him) permitted the use of black dye for adornment, especially the wife, to adorn herself for her husband. It has also been narrated from some of the companions such as: Sayyiduna Uthman, Sayyiduna Hasan, Sayyiduna Husain & others (Allah be pleased with them all) that they used black colour dye.

Imam Abu Yusuf also permitted it for men in order to adorn themselves for their wives. His words are:

"As I desire my wife to adorn herself for me, she also desires that I adorn my self for her" (Radd al-Muhtar).

Imam al-Haskafi states in Durr al-Mukhtar:

"It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war according to the sounder opinion. The sounder opinion is that the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) did not do it. It is disliked with black, though some said it is not"

Many Hanafi scholars have said that to use pure black dye is not permissible, even for the purpose of adornment and pleasing the spouse.

"There will be people who will come later (in my Ummah) and apply black dye. They will not even smell the fragrance of paradise" (Sunan Abu Dawud, 2/578).

In another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "Abstain from using black dye" (Sahih Muslim).

However other scholars including the great Hanafi jurist and student of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf (Allah have mercy on him) permitted the use of black dye for adornment, especially the wife, to adorn herself for her husband. It has also been narrated from some of the companions such as: Sayyiduna Uthman, Sayyiduna Hasan, Sayyiduna Husain & others (Allah be pleased with them all) that they used black colour dye.

Imam Abu Yusuf also permitted it for men in order to adorn themselves for their wives. His words are:

"As I desire my wife to adorn herself for me, she also desires that I adorn my self for her" (Radd al-Muhtar).

"It is recommended for men to dye their hair and beard, even outside war according to the sounder opinion. The sounder opinion is that the Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) did not do it. It is disliked with black, though some said it is not"

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:19 PM (#10) User is offline   farishta 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

But if we women don't cut our hair, we'll have all sorts of hair problems (e.g. Split ends, hair loss and also other sort of problems).
Humanity has nothing to do with riches,
O Rehman, a statue of gold
Can not be man.

-Rehman Baba

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:20 AM (#11) User is offline   QadriAttari786 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

The easiest and most efficient way to get more answers and explanations would be to join the Fikr e Madinah Ahle Sunnah Wal Jamaat room on Paltalk.

There are 3 ahle sunnah muftiaan ikraam to answer questions. These are mustanaad aalims. They are Hazrat Allama Mufti Haroon Qadri, Hazrat Allama Mufti Zahid Farooqi Qadri, and Hazrat Allama Mufti Abbas Razavi.

You can download and install paltalk, and then also install the ad blocker software from www.admuncher.com to avoid having to deal with the pop ups and advertisements.

Sisters can text message their questions in the room to avoid having to come on the mic.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:12 AM (#12) User is offline   objective-enquirer 

• Waxing Gibbous

with due respect, these are matters of fiqh and jurists have allowed black dye and cutting of hair for women..

for instance, Hazrat peer mehr Ali shah sahib, the mujaddid, also use to dye his hair black..secondly, it is unanimous that imam hasan and imam hussain(alayhuma salaam) use to dye with black....there are so many opinions about the matter. these matters differ from mfti to mufti and surely each has their daleel.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:28 AM (#13) User is offline   QadriAttari786 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

With utmost courtesy, let me offer that when people ask specific questions we should try to give answers with specific references rather than making generalizations or presenting our own viewpoint. (unless the person replying is a mufti himself, but even in that case muftis cite references in their rulings).

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:58 AM (#14) User is offline   objective-enquirer 

• Waxing Gibbous

In regards to the hadīth of Jābir (radhiallāhu 'anhu) in Sahīh Muslim, "Chapter on Clothing and Adornment": غيروا هذا بشيء واجتنبوا السواد (Change this [white hair] with something, and abstain from black), the portion of the sentence "and abstain from black) is an addition to the hadith that cannot said to be authentically proven after careful scrutiny of the narrators of the hadīth. The summary of the discussion of the narrators is that there are four narrators who relate this hadīth, of which two are reliable and two are mudallis (a type of weak narrator).

Only in the reports of the two mudallis narrators has "...and abstain from black." been mentioned. When the two reliable narrators (of this hadith) were asked, "Did Jābir narrate, '...and abstain from black.'?", they replied, "No." In other words, Jābir (radhiallāhu 'anhu) did not utter the sentence "...and abstain from black."

Therefore, the authentic hadith: غيروا هذا بشيء"change this (white hair) with something" is a general command and includes dyeing white hair with black, (red) henna, or wasma, etc..."

this is just a sample of the differences amongst scholars of ahley sunnah. i will inshAlllah post more about the two issues when i have time.

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:15 PM (#15) User is offline   Sunni-Sis 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

JazakhAllah for your answers..

I wanted to check myself as I have also heard that you can cut your
hair and dye it.. as long as the die is halaal n does not contain any ingrediants in which we are not allowed to use.

If you have more information then please share..
Asalaam Alaikum..

Isit Allah derdimi, bu ahlarimi
(O Allah hear my sorrows and my sighs)

Rahmeyle, bagisla gunahlarimi
(Have mercy and pardon my sins)

Hayreyle hem aksam hem sabahlarimi
(Bless my night and days)

..:: мυѕℓιм ѕιѕтєя ::..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic