• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does the angel of death look like?

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:57 AM (#1) User is offline   Aashiqe-e-Rasool 

• New Moon
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Salaam,
            Dear Brothers/Sister i was talking to a Brother on msn one day and he asked me the question " What does the angel of death look like according to Islam?"

Brothers we shall be grateful if you could help us in answering this question.

Jazakallah

SUNLAAY NAJDEYA TU JODAA MEI JODAA, TU JAHANAM CHALAH, MEI MADINE CHALAH

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:19 AM (#2) User is offline   Elbow 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Originally posted by: Ashiq -E- Rasool

Salaam,            Dear Brothers/Sister i was talking to a Brother on msn one day and he asked me the question " What does the angel of death look like according to Islam?"Brothers we shall be grateful if you could help us in answering this question.Jazakallah

Asalamoalaikum,

Tell him, "Just wait for a while, you will see him for yourself".

Jazakallah

Babar
I want to be disillusioned
AND
Alhamdulillah
I am

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:10 AM (#3) User is offline   Ahle-Sunnah-Uprising 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

..very disillusioned as one can tell. Actually the brother asked because a non-Muslim wanted to know, it could be a good start towards dawah.

Are there any elaborations on this matter in any Hadiths?
SalAllahu Alaih Wassallam
'If you want to love you’re going to die in the cause of love. So pick up someone to love who deserves to die for.' (Ibn Farid)

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:53 AM (#4) User is offline   MuhammadOwaisRazaQadr 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

wel from what ive heard ryt if your a good person the angel of death will come with a noorani face but if your a bad person who has died with no iman (may allah give all the ummah the ability to die with imaan) then the angel of death will come as some one that you don't really want to see

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:03 PM (#5) User is offline   frasul 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Salam

I was going to make a thread about angel of death, so ill do a follow up question...

Many people die at the same time at different locations.i asked someone is there more than 1 angel taking peoples soul out?

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:25 PM (#6) User is offline   miss17 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

salaam...i have read somewhere that there are helpers of israeel...then again i have read elsewhere that the world is small infront of malakul maut and whichever soul he summons to him comes...interesting though...can any1 elaborate?
YA ALLAH,YA MUSTAFA (SAW),YA GHAUS ALMADAT

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:46 PM (#7) User is offline   MuhammadOwaisRazaQadr 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

wel malakul maut has the ability to be at different places in one time so if that is the shaan of malakul maut an angel wa is the shaan of our beloved prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

subhanallah

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:55 PM (#8) User is offline   Yaseen-Dziaee 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • Group: Moderators

In some narrations to make people understand the power of The Angel of Death, an example without comparison is given : it is said that its like if you place a bowl in front of you then you can see everything in it & then you can pick what you want from the bowl at any time, sometime you can pick one or two or three.......

& Allah Azza Wajjal & His Rasool know best

---------------------------------------------------------------
"The melodies of Raza echo resoundingly in the gardens....
And why not? Does he not sing the praises of the majestic flower? ."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:40 PM (#9) User is offline   Ya-Rasool-help-us 

• New Moon
  • Pip

once hazrat Ibraheem (Alaihis salaam) asked the angel of death 'Are you able to show me the form you assume when takin the soul of an evildoer?'

'you would not be able to bear it' he replied 'but yes i could' he said. 'then turn away from me' the angelk of death commanded and he did so. then Ibraheem (Alaihis salaam) turned back around and there stood a black man with hair raised, evil - smelling and clohhed in black, from whose mouth and nstrils sparks and smoke issuing forth. At this Ibraheem (alaihis salaam)  fainted, and when he regained his wits the angel of death was in his former appearance. ' o angel of death' he said 'Were the evil doers to confront nothing but your features after his death it would quite suffuce him!'

The obedient man however shall see him in the best and most beautiful of forms.

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:48 AM (#10) User is offline   Muhammad_Mobasher_Muhammadi 

• MMM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Originally posted by: faz rasul

SalamI was going to make a thread about angel of death, so ill do a follow up question...Many people die at the same time at different locations.i asked someone is there more than 1 angel taking peoples soul out?

Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

Yes, there are various Angels of Death appointed under the Command of Sayyiduna Izrael.

Brother Aashiq-e-Rasool, Sayyiduna Ibraheem were shown the form that the Angel of Death adopts when about to suck the soul of an unbeliever. There were thousands of black hair on its body and from each pounced balls of fire and the soul will be pulled from the body of the unbeliever breaking its ribs and giving him intense pain.

Then, when he adopted the appearance with which he will suck the body of a believer, Sayyiduna Ibrahim said that the appearance which the Angel of Death had now acquired was beautiful and handsome and would make a crying one smile and happy. For a believer, the pulling of the soul will be similar to a pinch, Insha Allah!

Jazak Allah
What is the constant concern of The Holy Prophet Alayhis Salaatu Wa Salaam? The Forgiveness of His Ummah. Struggle for it.

A common human being uses no more than 3 percent of his brain's total capability. Where do you use the remaining 97 percent when there is nothing meaningless or unnecessary in God's creation? In search of His Ma'arifah, in the path of spirituality - to Know Him.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:41 AM (#11) User is offline   Usmann54 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

As-Salaamu alaikum wa rahmahtullahi wa barakatuhu

Hadhrat Umar (Radiyallahu Anhu) asked Hadhrat Ka'ab (Radiyallahu Anhu) to explain the condition of death. He replied: - "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! It is like a thorny branch which is inserted into a person in such a manner that it touches every part of the body and is thereafter, suddenly extracted. In this manner life is extracted."

Hadhrat Tameem Daari (Radiyallahu Anhu) says that Allah Ta'aala tells Malakul Maut: "Go to my certain friend and bring his soul. 1 have tested him in both happiness and sorrow. He has passed successfully as I desired. Bring him so that he may be relieved from the difficulties of this world.' Malakul Maut comes to him with five hundred angels. All of them come with the shrouds of Jannah. In their hands they hold a bouquet of sweet basil (rayhaan) which is made up of twenty different colours and in each colour there is a different fragrance. (Amongst the things they bring with them) is a white silken cloth from which the fragrance of musk emits. Malakul Maut sits at his head-side while the rest of the angels gather around him. They place their hands on all the parts of his body. The silken cloth is then placed under his chin and a door of Jannah is opened in front of his eyes. He is entertained and diverted by the many new fascinating things of Jannah like the household folk will divert a crying child's attention towards different things. At times the damsels of Jannah are brought forward, at times the fruit of Jannah and at times the excellent clothing. In short, different bounties of Jannah are brought forward. The damsels of Jannah jump with joy. Viewing this scene his soul in the body palpitates and throbs (like an animal would flutter to come out of a cage).
Malakul Maut tells him: "0 Blessed Soul! Come towards thornless lote trees, layers of bananas, spacious and wide shade and flowing waters." (These are some of the scenes towards which the Quraan indicates in Suratui Waqi'ah).
Amidst thornless lote-trees and layers of bananas and spreading shade.
[Aayaat 28,29 and 30]

Malakul Maut speaks to him in such a soft tone as a mother would speak to her child because he knows that this soul is a favourite of Allah Ta'aala. He approaches this soul very kindly so that Allah Ta'aala may become pleased with him. This soul comes out of the body so easily as hair is taken out of dough. When the soul is extracted all the angels greet it and extend to him the glad tidings of entry into Jannah. The Quraan has mentioned it in this manner: "Those whom the angels cause to die in the state of purity."
[Suratun Nahl, Aayah 32]
And if he is amongst the favourite servants then it is mentioned with regard to him in Surah Waqi'ah: "Then, if he is amongst the Near Ones there shall be rest, satisfaction and a
Garden of Delight for him."
[Aayaat 88,89 and 90]
When the soul leaves, it addresses the body: "May Allah Ta'aala grant you the best of rewards. You were quick in obeying Allah Ta'aala. You avoided disobeying Allah Ta'aala. May this day be a blessed day for you. You have saved both yourself and myself from punishment". The body then addresses the soul in the very same manner at the time of separation. The portion (this then carries on to describe the conditions in the grave)

Now listen to the condition of the disobedient person. Allah Ta'aala instructs Malakul Maut: "Go to My enemy and bring his soul. I gave him everything in abundance. I showered My Bounties upon him from all four sides in the world and yet he was disobedient to me. Bring him so that I may punish him". Malakul Maut approaches him in a very frightening form. In this form he has twelve eyes. He holds a very thick and huge iron club made from the Fire of Jahannum which is with thorns. He has five hundred angels under his command. They bring a large blade of copper with them. They hold big and huge burning charcoals of Jahannum in their hands and whips of blazing fire. As soon as Malakul Maut approaches him he hits him with the thick and huge iron-club, the thorns of which penetrate into every vein and fibre of his. Then he pulls it out. The other angels begin to strike his face and hips with their whips causing him to become unconscious. Thereafter, they extract his soul from the toes of his feet and stop it in his heels and begin whipping him. Then they extract it from the heels and stop it in the knees. They extract the soul from here and stop it at various places in order to cause pain and difficulty to him for a longer period. They stop the soul in the stomach and from here they extract it until it reaches the chest. The angels then place the copper and the blazing charcoal of Jahannum under his chin. Thereafter, Malakul Maut says: "0 Accursed soul! come out and proceed to that Jahannum which has been described as follows:
"In such a fire, boiling water and a cloud of black smoke which will not be cooled nor will it give comfort (rather it will be very painful)."
[Surah Waaqi'ah]

Then when his soul is extracted from the body it says to the body: "May Allah Ta'aala punish you. You always hastened me in the disobedience of Allah Ta'aala and you were always slow in obeying Allah Ta'aala. You have destroyed both of us." The body speaks to the soul in the very same manner. The earth (this then carries on to describe the conditions in the grave)

http://www.iberr.org/death2.htm

my humble dua and salaam

Uthman

I searched for it far and wide,

i searched lands to my left and right,

i searched the truth, for i was sick of lies,

i sat down and cried, and found it deep deep inside...

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:59 PM (#12) User is offline   Salam-To-All 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

Originally posted by: faz rasul

Salam

I was going to make a thread about angel of death, so ill do a follow up question...

Many people die at the same time at different locations.i asked someone is there more than 1 angel taking peoples soul out?

An interesting point brother,
maybe off topic..........................

There is only 1 Angel of Death, the Angel of Death's ranking is below of the esteemed Angles such as Hazrat Izraeel , Hazrat Israfeel and Hazrat Mikaeel and the Archangel Hazrat Gibraeel

Many Deaths occur everyday and Allah knows best there are simultaneous deaths taking place every minute if not every second. If the Angel of Death can be present at many places at the same time................
Then what's to say the Habeeb of Allah, the Greatest Prophet of them all cannot be Haazir & Naazir.

''If words come out of the heart they will enter it,
but if they come from the tongue they will not pass beyond the ears''

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:15 AM (#13) User is offline   Elbow 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Originally posted by: salaam to all

An interesting point brother,maybe off topic..........................There is only 1 Angel of Death, the Angel of Death's ranking is below of the esteemed Angles such as Hazrat Izraeel , Hazrat Israfeel and Hazrat Mikaeel and the Archangel Hazrat Gibraeel Many Deaths occur everyday and Allah knows best there are simultaneous deaths taking place every minute if not every second. If the Angel of Death can be present at many places at the same time................Then what's to say the Habeeb of Allah, the Greatest Prophet of them all cannot be Haazir & Naazir.

Asalamoalaikum,

This is really an interesting point and your analogy appears so correct.

But a point more to ponder brother, Angel of death was below in rank than rest of the prophets as well.

So All the Prophets were Haazir & Naazir too. Is that right brother ?

Waslaam,

Babar

I want to be disillusioned
AND
Alhamdulillah
I am

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:56 PM (#14) User is offline   Salam-To-All 

• First Quarter
  • PipPipPip

That's a very good point brother Babar,

in order to tackle your valid question,

firstly we need to be clear on what is meant by being Haazir & Naazir,
Explanation of the concept of Haazir & Naazir of Our Beloved Prophet (SAWS)
(i'm pretty sure posts exists on Yanabi which tackle the same issue)

There are many incidents, stated in the Holy Quran relating to the Prophets:

Hazrat Sulaiman was taking his group through the jungle and an Ant heard his footsteps and said:

Kanzul-Iman (Ala Hazrat Imam Ahmed Raza Khan Translation taken from Kanzul-Iman)
Until when they came to the valley of the ants, and said, 'O ants, enter your houses; lest Sulaiman and his armies may crush you unknowingly.

To this, Hazrat Sulaiman amusingly responded:

Kanzul-Iman (Ala Hazrat Imam Ahmed Raza Khan Translation taken from Kanzul-Iman)
There upon he smilingly laughed at her works, and said, 'O my Lord, grant me guidance that I may be grateful for Your favour which You have bestowed upon me and my parents and that I may do such good works as would please You and admit me out of Your Mercy among Your those bondmen who deserve Your proximity.

It has been stated in the books of Tafseer i.e. Tafseer Ruhul Bayaan that the distance between the ant and the army of Hazrat Sulaiman was 3 miles (in some it is stated three furlongs i.e.) So there is evidence that Hazrat Sulaiman heard the ant from far without actually physically being present. Another thing to ponder is if you are a millimetre away from an ant, holding it up near your ear, you will not be able to hear it talk let alone understand what it is saying. Let's know turn to the ant, from the Ayat we can deduce that this particular ant may have been more esteemed than others as it is giving warning to the other ants who may not be aware of Hazrat Sulaiman's entourage, therefore it was like no other ant within it's community. Believing that a Prophet can hear from a far is comprehensible but a minute creature like an ant where the world in context to the human world is a thousand times larger, hearing Hazrat Sulaiman approximately 3 miles away!

we have to concede that Allah does have attributes which are unique to Him alone, but he may pass on these powers to whomsoever he wishes.

You may have been asking are the Prophets Haazir and Naazir after their worldy demise?

well my answer to this would be that the events of Mi'raj reveal that the Prophets can present themsleves at other locations:

During the journey from Makkah to Madina Our Prophet reported that they witnessed Hazrat Ibrahim prostrating within their grave. On the night of Mt'raj Our Prophet became the Imaam, and performed two rak'ahs of Salaah. It is thus seen that Hazrat Ibrahim and all other Prophets made Haaziri (were present) in Musjid al-Aqsa to perform Salaah with our Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) being the Imaam. Thereafter Our Prophet also conversed with Prophets such as Hazrat Ibrahim during the latter stages of the Mi'raj.

At the end of the day, my understanding is that Allah is not constrained and has the ability to give powers to whomsoever He wishes, this is demonstrated in many Hadiths and Ayats such as the one mentioned above. Surely, the ones closest to Allah will benefit most from His Grace.

I hope there are others who can shed more light, it's an interesting question posed by Brother Babar.

''If words come out of the heart they will enter it,
but if they come from the tongue they will not pass beyond the ears''

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services