Spirit Of Islam: Bread and Roti- What Should I Do With Leftover? - Spirit Of Islam

Icon Important Announcement!

Post your question to al-Allama Sayyid Zahid Husain Rizwi
Posted Image

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bread and Roti- What Should I Do With Leftover?

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:29 PM (#1) User is offline   AnilaS 

• New Moon
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

SALAAM.

What do you do with the Roti or bread that is left remaining after having a meal? Many people say it's wrong to throw it...what do you suggest? What should we do? 

* Allah gives and forgives; Man gets and forgets *

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:43 PM (#2) User is offline   tahir_786 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Give it to the birds to eat

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:05 PM (#3) User is offline   Husayni 

• Full Moon
  • Group: Moderators

Originally posted by: Anila S

SALAAM. What do you do with the Roti or bread that is left remaining after having a meal? Many people say it's wrong to throw it...what do you suggest? What should we do? 

Wa Alaikum Salaam
you can keep it for the next day or give it to someone.dont ever throw food away.
always remember we will have to answer for all our action..
YaNabi Team

If you want to understand the Qur'an you go to Ahlul Bayt, if you want to understand Ahlul Bayt you go to the Qur'an.

Shaykh Sayyid Muhammad bin Yahya Al-Ninowy Al Husayni

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:46 PM (#4) User is offline   irfanrazakhan 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Walayaykumsalaam sister,

My mother has this amazing method whereby she can finely crumble few days old roti and bread and apply water, and then some bread or even cake flour at times and make sweet bread with raisains etc or other intresting stuff, theres so much one can do, like the sisters have suggested feed the pigeons or ducks, let me also tell you that i have seen my sheikh eat bread with mould on it but never let it waste, and when asked why he did such, when fresh was available, he suggested it was something their sheikh did and he continued until he suggested that there was a time when this bread was not available and our predecessors and masters would tie stones to there stomachs.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:58 PM (#5) User is offline   Secular-Revolution 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Walaikum salaam,

Over time you should get into the habbit of only cooking as much that will be consumed so that nothing goes to waste.

Kaabay Kis Mun Se Jao Ge SR!
Sharam Tum Ko Magar Nahin Aati

The difference between the Mullah and Satan is that the latter is not a hypocrite!
[Secular Revolution - the artist formerly known as Sunni Revolution]

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:00 AM (#6) User is offline   SufianA 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

you could just eat it yourself.. let yourself go.
Prophet Muhammad (saw) (pbuh) "Do not acquire knowledge to compete with the scholars,nor argue with the ignorant, nor to gain mastery over gatherings. Since whoever does that,then:the fire!the fire!"

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:27 PM (#7) User is offline   AnilaS 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Yes, but what about in cases where food is being prepared for soo many people...ie. in a restaurant?

what should the restaurant do with all the leftovers?

At home I could get used to cooking as much that will be consumed that nothing goes to waste but what about the restaurant food? At the end of the day we are humans and can eat only so much.

I guess Brother Irfan's and the other suggestions are good. ??  

* Allah gives and forgives; Man gets and forgets *

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:39 PM (#8) User is offline   amshafai 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Alhamdulillahi rabil aAlameen,wa salaatu wa salaamu alaikha Ya RasoolAllah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam wa aAlaikha wa aAshaabaikha Radiyallahu 'Anhum ajmaeen.

Asalaamu alaykhum sister, can I just say, you need to be careful about feeding the birds... through experiance ive noticed our people tend to leave the roti/bread in a pile on the side of a street or on walls etc... the birds may eat, however, usually also feasting on the left overs are mice and rats. They get a free meal.

If you do feed your left over roti/bread to the birds, please ensure that you take the appropriate measures to ensure that it is the birds only eating, as you don't want a infestation of rodants.

BarakAllah fi

Asid Shafait Riazi

mangoo786@hotmail.co.uk

Patience........ It is a must in life.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:48 PM (#9) User is offline   hb014g4573 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

Salaam, brother Irfan Raza Khan,

please tell me what is 'mould' as it stated in your post of this topic on loft over food.

I shall be happy to hear from you.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:16 PM (#10) User is offline   blessed 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

dear sister anila
 what I do with leftovers , is either feed them to irds, or if in proper condition give it to my maid or beggars
fiamanAllah
Mein so jaon Ya Mustafa kehtay kehtay
Khulay aankh Sallay Ala kehtay kehtay
Habib-e-khuda ka nazaara karoon mein
Dil o jaan Un pe nisaara karoon mein.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:37 PM (#11) User is offline   hb014g4573 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

but what if you have curry/saalan left over instead, I mean you can't give curries to birds or pigeons, so what should we do to curries?  Do we put them back in the Aandi/Haandi or curry pot or something?

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:21 PM (#12) User is offline   blessed 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

brother iftikhar , left over curry and salan can be given to maid and beggars
that's what I do ,there are underpriviledged people everywhere , some sleep with empty stomach , it's just that we hardly know about such people May Allah help all
fiamanAllah
Mein so jaon Ya Mustafa kehtay kehtay
Khulay aankh Sallay Ala kehtay kehtay
Habib-e-khuda ka nazaara karoon mein
Dil o jaan Un pe nisaara karoon mein.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:31 AM (#13) User is offline   hb014g4573 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

its good to give food to the poor and beggars especially where such people can be seen and approached, but what if you are living in England for example and there are not many poor or beggars on the street, so it does become a little difficult so what should we do in this case with leftover saalan or curries?

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:31 PM (#14) User is offline   ghulama 

• New Moon
  • Pip

salaam
with your leaft over bread or roaty you should get swab by givin the leaft over bitts to birds at home or in the park
ghulama

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:13 PM (#15) User is offline   mahroof 

• New Moon
  • Pip

w.salaam to all
What sould be done with left over ROTI/BREAD/SAAHLAN/CURRY
Firstly one should prepair us much to ones need.
still if some is left.FREEZ it,be it Roti OR Curry,Try it next day it will taste as it has been freashly cooked.Methoud BEEN TRIED AND TESTED.wahsalaam 

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:42 PM (#16) User is offline   SufianA 

• Waxing Gibbous
  • PipPipPipPip

salam. once i tried to throe bread to the birds when i was little and the birds never came to eat it. i was only little like 5 yrs ols. but i stil remember cuz i was upset. just remember folks some bords are quite choosie, some may not like the type of bread e.g roti, or may be health conscious and go for wholemeal bread. lol. also someone told me that the pigeons in britain are already fat and obese  because of the amount of food that people already waste. asthagfurallah.
Prophet Muhammad (saw) (pbuh) "Do not acquire knowledge to compete with the scholars,nor argue with the ignorant, nor to gain mastery over gatherings. Since whoever does that,then:the fire!the fire!"

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:34 PM (#17) User is offline   Maryam_2006 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Aslamalikum sister i think the best thing to do is feed the left over to the birds...in that way you wont get gunnah for throwing food away but will gain swab for feeding it to the birds....
GULAM HAI GULAM HAI RASOOL KE GULAM HAI,

GULAM-E-RASOOL MEIN MOAT BE QABOOL HAI,

JO HO NA ISHQ-E-MUSTAFA WO ZINDAGI FAZOOL HAI

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:05 PM (#18) User is offline   Imran. 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Assalaam Alaikum!

I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned giving the excess food to the neighbours,i believe there would be much sawaab in it.
La Ilaha Ill Allah Muhammadur Rasool Allah

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:00 PM (#19) User is offline   irfanrazakhan 

• Full Moon
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Originally posted by: IFTIKHAR HUSSAIN

Salaam, brother Irfan Raza Khan,please tell me what is 'mould' as it stated in your post of this topic on loft over food.I shall be happy to hear from you.

When it gets green stuff on it. Not very easy to think about eating is it huh? Thats the diff between us and awliya.  

Originally posted by: Imran Waheed

Assalaam Alaikum!I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned giving the excess food to the neighbours,i believe there would be much sawaab in it.

I guess people only give food to neighbours in ramazan sharif, becuase they know that get saawab and other times of the year its better to keep it home and let it waste but lets not give it to the neighbours, hence forgetting the sawwaab of not wasteing food.  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:58 AM (#20) User is offline   Bas 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

In reference to the question about restaurants' leftovers, in the case of Pret A Manger (a sandwich food chain in the U.K.) they give all leftovers each day to homeless people.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services