• This topic is locked

Abusive Hand Gestures

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:43 PM (#1) User is offline   Nuzhat-Attaria 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Asalamalikum
Madina
Can i ask how sticking up two or one finger up is swearing??.Is this made up stuff?? or are we really swearing i have been thinking this for a while thought i'll ask,now a days you see 2 year olds sticking out fingers.Only they dont know they are swearing.

Look foward to the replys
MURSHEEDI ATTAR PER NOOR KI BARSAT HO!!!
Mujhay دعوت اسلامی say pyaar hai
"Dawat-e-Islami - Holding high the Flag of Madeenah."

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:49 PM (#2) User is offline   Mohammed-Zahid 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Looking at the bigger picture, abusive/insulting behaviour and the manner that it is committed varies from country to country, culture to culture and langauage to language. It all depends on what is accepted as such behaviour where you are.

Of course the fact even very young kids can display such behaviour reflects the state of the culture and society that they live in.

Zahid
www.tsmy.org - Inspiring the youth since 2001.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:05 PM (#3) User is offline   PERFECT2PURPLE 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

AA

Apparently, I don't know if its true but I have heard that sticking up your fingers dates back during the war days. I think a country (may be Britain) defeated the French and to humiliate the French they would chop their (French) index and middle finger. Then the country who won would stick their fingers to show that they still had theirs (fingers) which was humiliating towards the French.

Also even if this story is 'made up' Life is about the intention and whether its good or bad. Even if which it is in England sticking up your fingers is swearing. So if the small child unintentionally sticks up their finger.. then personally I don't regard that as swearing... if they don't know that it constitutes as swearing.

But if they do it deliberatly then I do. Also I totally agree with Brother Zahid nowadays children have no respect whatsoever for their elders.. its disgusting, and it shows how society is changing and how the youth are mixing with materialism

Hope that helps and if anyone knows the story is false... I apologise.
Wassalam

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:26 PM (#4) User is offline   soldier-of-allah 

• New Moon
  • Pip

Asalamoalykum warahmatullhi wabarakatu:

Dear brothers and sisters,

SAHIRAH JAVAID is correct in saying the displaying of two fingers at the enemy dates back to the medievel times

The v-sign, with knuckles facing forward, is a uniquely British symbol of defiance.

The gesture dates back to English archers at Agincourt in 1415, who stuck up two fingers in defiance of the French threat to cut off their fingers if captured.
(Note the English archers were known to be the very best in the business and so when the french captured english archers they used to cut off the index and middle fingers i.e. The fingers used to pull the bow and release the arrow).

So when the English gained the upper hand against the french the English archers would show the v sign to taunt the french and to say "look we still have our fingers and we will use these to kill you with our bow and arrows".

I hope this answers your question.

Asalamoalykum warahmatullhi wabarakatu:

Im a soldier of allah my i live like Ali and witness truth like hussain... Ameen

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:28 PM (#5) User is offline   Muhammad_Mobasher_Muhammadi 

• MMM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Waalaikum Assalaam!

This is not a light issue.

The children should be stopped from committing such acts.

Abusing a fellow Muslim saddens him and it is a sin bigger than demolishing The Holy Kabah.

The problem is that we are so used to such acts that when our children adapt them, we take it very lightly.

If it was our practise to warn them and make them understand at the same moment they committed, they would have understood.

The sad part is that when a Haraam act is committed again and again, it becomes normal for us and we ignore it.

Swearing is a great sin and according to a Hadith-e-Mubarkah, the person is actually abusing his or her father.

We should ask them to stop such acts.

Astaghfirullah!

MAY ALLAH AZZAWAJAL GIVE HIDAYAH TO OUR CHILDREN AND ESPECIALLY THEIR PARENTS

AAMEEN
What is the constant concern of The Holy Prophet Alayhis Salaatu Wa Salaam? The Forgiveness of His Ummah. Struggle for it.

A common human being uses no more than 3 percent of his brain's total capability. Where do you use the remaining 97 percent when there is nothing meaningless or unnecessary in God's creation? In search of His Ma'arifah, in the path of spirituality - to Know Him.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:31 PM (#6) User is offline   Hamzah 

• Some kind of moon
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Atleast now we know what to do if anybody accuses us of not having any understanding of british history or culture.....

That will show them how much we understand british history.......

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:04 PM (#7) User is offline   PERFECT2PURPLE 

• Waxing Crescent
  • PipPip

Thankyou Brother Mohammed adil Bin Javed Qadri for clarifying the issue. Wassalam

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services